RBTA getting huge, any concern for my fish?

mvallee

Non-member
Looking at the tank today I saw my trigger spitting and working his jaw and was trying to figure out what was going on. Turns out one of my RBTA's had worked it's way down into the cave my trigger usually goes into and he was biting at it. this made me think, what is the risk of RBTA's to my fish. At last count I had 17 total from splits over the last year and they are getting quite large. I would guestimate tentacles of 8-10" on some.
I have a decent variety of fish from Red Tail Trigger, Yellow Tang, Multiple Leopard Wrasse type fish and some Blenny's. With lots of sweeping tentacles is this getting ready to be a problem?

This is a 5' long tank and a few are up behind the giant toadstool. I have been lucky thus far that they are all staying on one side of the tank but I think that is about to change too.

20210124_151659.jpg

Having same issue w/mine. Need to figure out how to remove some of the large ones. Fish all seem fine and the 2 clown fish love them. Curious what type of leopard wrasses do you have? Like to add another but i'm afraid the Bipartus i have will kill any other i put in.

Having same issue w/mine. Need to figure out how to remove some of the large ones. Fish all seem fine and the 2 clown fish love them. Curious what type of leopard wrasses do you have? Like to add another but i'm afraid the Bipartus i have will kill any other i put in.
I have a Black Leopard, Regular Leopard, Moyers Leopard wrasse as well as a Male Melanurus Wrasse I really wanted to add more, specifically Blue Star trio but everyone is getting along for the most part and would hate to rock the boat. I have seen the Black Leopard acting aggressively, flashing smacking the ground in front of the Moyers over the past couple weeks but that is it.

Edit: I forgot, I also have a China Wrasse, not a Leopard I don't think but pretty cool fish, very busy always picking at the rocks and sand.

fish seem to avoid them....mostly

Yeah they definitely stay away but as the BTA's get bigger with bigger sweepers I was just wondering if I should start getting nervous, I have had them stick to my hands and they are pretty sticky and would hate a sleeping fish to drift in but so far whether by luck or avoidance I have not lost any fish or seen what I would think are sting marks. Probably time to start thinning the herd anyways though.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back