Reaching out to the BRS community

kams56

Non-member
I work at the Perkins School for the Blind in the secondary program (it's our high school). All of the students who attend school here have multiple disabilities and an underlying visual impairment. I keep a small 14 gallon mixed reef tank in my office and some of my students (who have a little bit of vision) are really interested in it and have approached me about setting up an aquarium. They really took the reigns and went to the superintendent and the science teacher and have have agreed to write a proposal listing what they need, and how they plan to maintain the aquarium and what they hope to learn from this project. On top of that they are also going to make this their science fair project and do it in part on the nitrogen cycle. So needless to say these special needs students have already put in a lot of extra effort and I really want to make this happen for them.

So I am reaching out to the BRS community in hopes that someone may have some equipment that they may be able to either donate or sell cheaply to support these students. I'm going to list some of the equipment that we are looking for and if anyone has anything available on the list please get in touch with me. But pretty much we're looking for all the standard saltwater equipment but anything that anyone can donate will be greatly appreciated by both me and the students.

-75 Gallon Reef ready and stand
-Sump any size to fit under 75
-Cheap light (certainly not trying to keep SPS or looking for a Radion or anything)
-An in sump protien skimmer
-Return pump & heater.
-Old powerheads.
-Simple RODI

Thanks to those who have reached out!! Still looking for a few more items, and of course any reef related donations will be welcomed and should be a tax right off seeing as how the school is a non profit.

I don't know if you were planning to come out to the FFM this year but I always have a bunch of stuff lying around my school project and I would be happy to send it out to your school to help you get your tank up and running.

Back