Reccomendations for temporary holding?

jschiavi

Non-member
Guys and Gals -
I will be inheriting 4 fish (Adult Koran angel, a harelquin tusk, lionfish, and lawnmower blenny) with a used tank I will be purchasing.Any reccomendations for a plastic/rubbermaid-style container that I can use to hold these fish? Do you reccomend more than 1 container b/c of the species of fish? I tried a 54 gal (rectangular shaped) rubbermaid at Home Depot, but that thing bowed at the sides for lack of re-inforcement. They may have to live in the tub for a little bit while I drill and set up the tank at my place, and I want to make sure no one will harass one another (they dont now, but in a smaller tank, i dunno)

Mods - this isnt a WTB, unless someone offers to sell. Im looking for reccomendations. Feel free to move it to the equipment section if need be. :D

FWIW, I cured live rock in a big rubbermaid that I believe was 54g. The sides bowed a lot, but it was fine (if a bit misshapen) for a good month.

Nate

I should probably add that I would like to transport the tank water from the 90 to my house in the container, if possible. I want to use the same water the fish have lived in to hold the fish, just to cut down on stress/chemistry change.

I guess I coul use the 54 to hold them then. What about for transporting the water? Id either need a new container, or a dual-purpose (holding for the transport, and after for the fish)

That's a lot of water to move. I'd probably transport half of it in buckets, and mix 1/2 new water to give them a nice fresh start. What do you have for filtration of the tub?

Nate

So maybe, take 25 gal or so, and use another fresh 25? Maybe I wasnt clear. I only want enough water for the tub, not to move the whole 90. Filtration will most likely be a HOB mechanical. Maybe Ill throw a skimemr on there if the project takes longer than expected.

Yep, that's what I'd do. I'd start running the HOB mechanical filter on your tank a week before you do the move, so that it's fully colonized. You could also keep some LR in the tub while you're working on your project. I'd probably keep a close eye on the water parameters in your tub. That sounds like a whole lot of fish for 50 gallons of water. Might need to do some water changes periodically.

Nate,
do you forsee any agression problems with those fish in a 54g tub? im most worried about the lionfish...

The only one I've ever kept is the LMB. The only problem he might give the other fish is indigestion. :p I've heard the Lions will eat anything they can fit in their very large mouths, so I'd worry about the LMB.

As for aggression between the angel, wrasse, and lion, you'll have to get an answer from someone with more FO experience.

ok. just thought Id ask.... they are doing on in the 90g now, but might behave like a newly-married couple in an apartment (kill each other) if they go down to a 54.

Back