"recomendations" and "first hand experiances" on schooling fish

jason401

Non-member
i would like to add a 1/2 dozen or so of a "schooling type" fish, or shoal of fish. none that will wither down or be aggressive to other mild fish. and will also be comfortable in a 75 gallon tank. any input on experiance would be great.

I tried 3 with Bangaii Cardinals and basically 2 hang out one hides......I also hear that you want odd numbers not even when I looked into it.

a group of 6 to 8 blue reef chromis. My shoal has only 5 chromis and I am going to add several more in the future.

No real schooling fish for our tanks. Just social behavior save for a mated pair of fish (even that is just social). Chromis will eventually be one. Odd or even doesn't matter, will be only one at the end. Anthias are a good bet. Get a male and a pack of females.

Fish can not school in a 75g... They more or less will jus "shoal" in and around the tank if anything...

I agree chromis will eventually only be one. Not sure why but i have bought 2 schools of them on more than one occasion and eventually i end up with significantly less or 1. I think one of them just goes rogue and kills the rest. They are actually aggressive dont buy into the fact that they arent. Everytime i har had them i made sure they had food and lots of swimmig room to this day they are the only type of fish deaths i have had.

thanks for the feedback ;) anyone have experiance with multiple anthias? im leaning towards them but they are not cheap and there is many diff species. after research (like dan says) i should try and find one male to several females. "oh the life of a male anthias" lol :cool:

i have a mini school of 5 Dispar Anthias..1 male, 4 females. They are GREAT! I have had them for almost 2 years. Started in my 75 gal and now in 180. They are always together, they interact with each other and also they seem to bicker sometimes and the male will punish them ( at least thats what it looks like). The male coloring is really nice and it is fun to watch him herd his harem. I definitely recoomend them.
I am also thinking of adding 5 Bartlett Anthias as well.

I tried 3 with Bangaii Cardinals and basically 2 hang out one hides......I also hear that you want odd numbers not even when I looked into it.

The but in 3 is to have a good chance in getting a pair then there third is shunned away. Its pretty cool to see the male carry a mouth full of babies

Back