Recommendations for Glass Shop to Drill 40 Breeder

wpeterson

BRS Member
Well, I've just purchased an untempered 40 breeder today for a new setup without an overflow. I'm planning to get a synergy reef or similar low profile overflow, but I need to get the tank drilled.

Can anyone recommend a glass shop with an hour or two of Boston who does awesome work? I'm hoping to get four holes drilled and get the edges finished if possible to be smooth.

I'd love to hear anyone's stories about great people/places you can recommend for drilling tanks. I know I could DIY this, but the cost of the drill bits and my own inexperience make me more inclined to pay a professional.

Greg at underwater world did my tank for me, he has a press out back, give him a call

Taunton's a bit of a hike for me, but I'm glad to hear two strong recommendations. Thanks, guys.

Well, I've just purchased an untempered 40 breeder today for a new setup without an overflow. I'm planning to get a synergy reef or similar low profile overflow, but I need to get the tank drilled.

Can anyone recommend a glass shop with an hour or two of Boston who does awesome work? I'm hoping to get four holes drilled and get the edges finished if possible to be smooth.

I'd love to hear anyone's stories about great people/places you can recommend for drilling tanks. I know I could DIY this, but the cost of the drill bits and my own inexperience make me more inclined to pay a professional.

Drilling holes is easy, but can certainly understand wanting a pro to do it. Not worth the risk. You being in Newton, anything wrong with tropic isle? I know thy can be a bit brisk in there, but they have always treated me very well. I don't know about the edge finishing though. Are you adding bulk heads? Shouldn't be needed if so, but that is not something I'm overly familiar with or was known to be done. Wouldn't mind hearing more thoughts on the desire for that.

Drilling holes is easy, but can certainly understand wanting a pro to do it. Not worth the risk. You being in Newton, anything wrong with tropic isle? I know thy can be a bit brisk in there, but they have always treated me very well. I don't know about the edge finishing though. Are you adding bulk heads? Shouldn't be needed if so, but that is not something I'm overly familiar with or was known to be done. Wouldn't mind hearing more thoughts on the desire for that.

I'm planning to get a Synergy Reef or Eshopps Eclipse low-profile overflow kit with bulkheads, so it's not a hard requirement. However, I am clumsy and making edges safe so I don't slice myself open is always a bonus in my book.

Has anyone seen the Eshopps Eclipse before? It's very similar to the Ghost Overflow, Synergy Reef, and others.

I think I'll be adding one 1.5" hole and a 1" return line.

Last edited:
Hey those are pretty slick and minimize the number of holes you need in the tank for a bean animal. I think I like the synergy a hair better based on looks. Even though it's for a 40b, I would get the large. I would still want 3 drains, even though with this design the odds of clog are very low I would want the larger surface skimmer.

Hey those are pretty slick and minimize the number of holes you need in the tank for a bean animal. I think I like the synergy a hair better based on looks. Even though it's for a 40b, I would get the large. I would still want 3 drains, even though with this design the odds of clog are very low I would want the larger surface skimmer.

I love the Synergy Reef overflows, but $200 seems pretty pricey. The Eshopps overflow look to be about the same build quality and features, but for half the price.

zzzzz__46518.1459281037.1280.1280.jpg

I was thinking of running their Medium model w/ 2x 1" drains in a Herbie configuration and a 1" return line. I'm planning to re-use a Jebao DCS-12000 return pump, which is probably too much flow but I can always turn it down. I'm hoping that a large pump and large return line will mean less head pressure and quiet operation.

Just had my 150 drilled at tropic isle a few weeks ago. Give them a call and they do it the same day. I think any day but Wednesday's. It's pricey at 30$ a hole but I did it for peace of mind.

I love the Synergy Reef overflows, but $200 seems pretty pricey. The Eshopps overflow look to be about the same build quality and features, but for half the price.

zzzzz__46518.1459281037.1280.1280.jpg

I was thinking of running their Medium model w/ 2x 1" drains in a Herbie configuration and a 1" return line. I'm planning to re-use a Jebao DCS-12000 return pump, which is probably too much flow but I can always turn it down. I'm hoping that a large pump and large return line will mean less head pressure and quiet operation.
You have me looking at these things now. I agree the synergy is pricey, I'm looking at eshopps as well.

It doesn't look like a true bean animal set up though with a full siphon line, a regular line that can go full siphon if need be and a backup.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You have me looking at these things now. I agree the synergy is pricey, I'm looking at eshopps as well.

It doesn't look like a true bean animal set up though with a full siphon line, a regular line that can go full siphon if need be and a backup.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

There are three models: Small, Medium, and Large. I just pulled the trigger on a Medium (8" weir, 2x 1" drains) to run as a Herbie. The Large model has a 12" weir and 3x 1" drains.

I wanted to follow up on this - it turns out the Eshopps overflow kit comes with a nice 1.5" sized hole saw, so I drilled the overflow and return holes myself tonight.

It went super smoothly, thanks to help from my wife who ran the hose to keep the drill set cool and clean. Some minor scallops on the far side of the drill holes, but overall fine. I bought a cheap 90" drill guide to make sure the holes were straight and keep the bit in place.

Two 3/4" return bulkheads and one 1.5" main bulkhead for the external overflow:

2016-05-27%2020.21.57.jpg

2016-05-27%2020.22.04.jpg

2016-05-27%2020.22.01.jpg

2016-05-27%2020.22.08.jpg

Nice work. When I had to drill my 40 and 125 I was more worried about the 125. Seems obvious now, but the 40 was much more delicate. Mine are scalloped all to hell though.

That looks real neat!!!! Maybe I'm living under a rock but this is the first time I've seen these overflows, do the larger models have two holes going into the tank it would be nice if they did.

Jim

PS: Don't drink all the wine until your through.

I think this is a recent release that came out about the same time as the new Synergy Reef overflows and owe their lineage to the Reef Savvy ghost overflows. I haven't seen the Eshopps overflows sold in many places, currently AquaCave.com has them.

The Large model Eshopps has 3x 1" drains and 2x 1.5" bulkheads, which is a pretty close match to the Synergy Reef overflows.

Back