Red Flat Worms

Jim Tansey

BRS Member
I have what appears to be redish flat worms in my frag tank, how bad are they and whats the best way to get rid of them?

Thanks,

Jim

No really a big deal Jim more of an ugly eye sore than anything else.
Being in your frag tank is a good thing, as you may have the chance to catch them before they migrate.
Standard treatment is flat worm exit at 2-3X followed by carbon and at least a 20% water change.
With it in a system you can isolate I might do something a bit different though.
Depending on tank size, plumbing number of corals and substrate etc, I might:
Pull all the corals and rock to a tote for treatment. If the frag tank still has substrate dose it and do a 100% change or if no substrate just clean it good and add the new water.
Once that is back on line give each of your now treated and presumably clean corals a good rinse and inspection and add them back.

I'm headed to Hyannis in about an hour and I'll be there for the day. I'll bring some FWE so if you decide to we can meet.

another thing you can do once you treat with flatworm exit is to add sixline wrass to the tank. they will help keep them under control once the population is cut down.

Good point a "worker" fish and increased flow would both be good prophylactics moving forward.
believe it or not one of my favorites and one of if not the best FW eater I've found is the Neon velvet (sometimes called Jewel or blue streak) Damsel.
Pretty good looking too, until they get older ~3-4 years then they look like a ugly ole brown carp.

Especially attractive for a work system as you can get them for about $1 each (10+)

I like yellow coris wrasse for "worker" fish. They will eat anything from pyramid snails to flat worms and everything in between. They don't turn nasty or get ugly, and stay a reasonable size.

Back