~~~~ reef alert ~~~~~

Aquaman_68

too many gadgets to fail
It appears that there is becoming an alarming subject to my attention in the reef hobby....parasitic isopods seem to be becoming more common in shipments of clean up crews & of the sorts.....People need to be aware of these potential pests!!! education of what is a good pod & what r bad pods should be more openly talked about....these parasitic pods r blood sucking reef vampires!!!pretty easy to see in the store display tanks by dropping small bits of food in the tank....once that is done they go crazy swimming around the tanks!! they r not a normal reef inhabitant...they are BAD!!! Once introduced u r screwed!!!

Check this out!!

http://www.nano-reef.com/invertebrates/?id=3

& this:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...4812AB22DCD7D78718B37570&first=31&FORM=IDFRIR

& here is a nice shot of them in action!!!! at what they do best!!!!!
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...4526E7CF58B062859C57CE3&first=121&FORM=IDFRIR

Oh & btw....If u think this is just a scare!!! It isn't !!! They r out there!!!!! TRUST ME!!!!!after reeding a little more about them it appears they may have come from our friends in australia!!! can't b sure but their r alot of articles online that speak of these suckers in ausie country!!!

From the first link: "These types of isopods are exceedingly rare in captivity, but if found such occurrences can be cured with the use of treatments that include organophosphate (e.g. DTHP; Neguvon, Masoten, Dylox). The isopods shown are parasitic and feed off the blood of fish."

you would think that any bug in the water was fair game for the fish to consume
I just thought that any bug would be eaten,
thanks for the education

From the first link: "These types of isopods are exceedingly rare in captivity, but if found such occurrences can be cured with the use of treatments that include organophosphate (e.g. DTHP; Neguvon, Masoten, Dylox). The isopods shown are parasitic and feed off the blood of fish."

u want to trust that they kill the larvae? I don't want to take the chance...the whole point....precautions before can make ur life so much easier in this hobby.....They r out there!!! Just trying to educate to prevent from an "in tank" infestation.... setting up links & pics to know what to look for!!! (oh & did u read? They will bite humans too!!!! & also burrow under ur skin!!!)

Are there any changes to QT best practices to specifically address these guys, or does existing best practices do the trick?

The first article says they can be killed with Dylox. From my landscaping knowledge, Dylox is a pelletized chemical that kills grubs within 48 hours of touching water. How does this work?

Not sure .....looking into erradication ATM.... Haven't got a decisive answer as of yet... That is why I really can't say enough how important is is to pay attention to the tanks ur getting livestock from at wherever u shop!!!

u want to trust that they kill the larvae? I don't want to take the chance...the whole point....precautions before can make ur life so much easier in this hobby.....They r out there!!! Just trying to educate to prevent from an "in tank" infestation.... setting up links & pics to know what to look for!!! (oh & did u read? They will bite humans too!!!! & also burrow under ur skin!!!)

I was just quoting the first article linked, wasn't saying I trust anything. I don't have a tank yet, still researching and debating. The links posted were interesting reads, including people getting eaten. ;o)

They are nasty little buggers. The instant food was dropped into the water, swarms came out. Personally I wouldn't even stick a gloved hand in the water never mind taking the risk of buying livestock.

If you've been in the hobby a few years, and you see something you've never seen before, it's probably bad.

Last edited:
Omg more pests to make sure they don't get through dip . Hey b what would you suggest for precautions with these little buggers same as normal dipping for the rest of the pests ... tia

Last edited:
Personal experience

I have had experience with something like these isopods before, but didn't know it until now. About 14 years ago when I was FOWLR I had purchased a cleaner shrimp and did not inspect it well before buying. Got him in the tank and noticed what I thought was a tumor on his abdomen. The picture of the parasite in the linked article on the shrimps abdomen was exactly what they looked like. I could see the shrimps markings and color through the parasite so I assumed it was a tumor growing from his abdomen. The shrimp died after a few weeks, but his tumor magically was gone when I went to flush him. Totally blew my mind (twice) now.
I'm not sure if mine was a variety of these isopods that only target shrimp. The three false perculas I had in the same tank never had parasites and did not die. Never saw the little buggers after that again.

Back