Reef critter fears?

FinsUp!

Non-member
Does anyone else here have any reef critter fears/phobias?

I do, and I always feel really awkward when the LFS employee leads me to a tank that has something I'm afraid of in it and I just can't bring myself to get close to the tank. I'm afraid of starfish, sea urchins, sea hares/sea cucumbers and arrow crabs. I know I'm scared of arrow crabs and starfish because they make me think of spiders (I have a fear of anything with more than 4 legs except for shrimp, because shrimp are cute). Not sure why I'm scared of sea urchins and sea hares though.

Somebody please make me feel better and tell me that there are others who are scared of some of the things we come across in our hobby! :eek:

^ You're just saying that to be nice!!! You just copied and pasted! :p

On a serious note though, It does make me feel awkward being afraid of some of the things they sell in the LFS... Just wondering if anyone else shares my affliction. Probably not. I'm weird :D

See, I don't mind bristle worms but show me an arrow crab scuttling around a tank and watch me run for the hills...

I fear grabbing pieces of rock out of my tank and sticking my fingur with whatever it is that's small and sharp. It hurts more every time and the small pain from the infection is really annoying... I'm thinking some kind of small tube worm not sure though. Bristle worms don't really scare my I just don't like touching them. The little hairs/barbs work into your skin like fiber glass...

I fear grabbing pieces of rock out of my tank and sticking my fingur with whatever it is that's small and sharp. It hurts more every time and the small pain from the infection is really annoying... I'm thinking some kind of small tube worm not sure though. Bristle worms don't really scare my I just don't like touching them. The little hairs/barbs work into your skin like fiber glass...
Not me but my girlfriend wouldn't go near the tank with the frog fish in it at jays the other day. She said it was to freaky lookin...

You're not alone, I LOATHE the site of sea cucumbers and other sluggy creatures....also I have no idea why anyone would want a sea urchin. It looks like it's made to hurt you - it's like trying to catch a throwing star from a ninja :)

No offense meant to those freaks that like those things hahaha

I guess you and Jeremy won't want to come see my tank anymore after I get a red or blue tuxedo urchin. :)

Nothing I've seen yet makes me squirm, although I'm cautious/concerned about all these "tank dangers": paly toxin, urchin spins, etc. etc.

Today while I was at UMass with my sister I borrowed a pocket-full of large, powder-free gloves. *evil grin* As the tank becomes more populated I'll start wearing those. Especially as I get more corals and someday an anemone.

Oh, I was looking at the clam tank at krystal clear, and an urchin came round the top of the rack... I jumped back about 5 feet :eek:

MrX... I'll just have to learn to curb my urchin fears when visiting your tank, I suppose!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ugh, I've never had to see an urchin move...I hope to stay that way. MrX, I may make an exception for your tank, but you'd better wrap it in a towel or something :)

I don't fear anything in a tank...unless I have to stick my hand inside. I don't fear them but I don't want to get stung by a long spine urchin.

I miss my mantis that i had and it definetly made you check where it was before trying to move anything around in the tank

I feared my Fox face when I had one.
Definitely didn't want to get stung.I'm allergic to bees and didn't need to find out if I was going to have a reaction or not.

The creepy crawly things freak me out, i dont mind them unless i have to go digging in my tank though.

I picked up a Rock in my nano months back and felt it move under u hands. turned it over after having a heart attack and it was a 4 inch long brown with blue spot sea slug.paper thin and a very very very fast mover. I never want to see one again. Scared me pretty bad because I didn't know if it was harmful to me. Clearly I'm fine now but still.....

I have 3 urchins and love them. Baha

Getting one of those weird infections people talk about where their hands blow up like ten times their normal size freaks me out but not enough to wear gloves. Grabbing a bristle worm doesnt sound too pleasant either but been there done that!

Back