Reef octopus skimmer issue

CAPSLOCK

Yes, I am a giraffe.
Staff member
I have the Reef Octopus nwb 110. I seem to be having an issue with the pump. It is the standard pump that comes with the skimmer. It seems to work properly until I attach the little intake adapter which connects the air tube. As soon as I screw that adapter on the flow slows way way down. It slows even before I connect the air hose. I took the thing apart and gave it a vinegar bath to no avail. It was working properly until several weeks ago when I shut it off for prazipro treatment, then worked fine for several days after (though I had it tuned low due to the prazipro), then the flow just died down.

Anyone know if there is a fix to this? Do those little adapters die? Replacing the adapter would be cheaper than replacing the pump, but there doesn't seem to be a visible problem with the adapter.

I would make sure it's not clogged somewhere. On mine calcium can build up inside that plastic piece that the tube attaches to. I have to scrape/chip it off every once in awhile

I can blow through it fine and it lets air through to the pump fine - I do get bubbles even with the weak flow. It also spins and seems to move freely when not attached to the pump. I had some areas with a bit of buildup but none on this piece. I feel like the piece must be blocking flow somehow but just can't figure out how it is or how to fix it.

Check every little piece of the skimmer. Do you have the silencer on the end of you air line? If you do try taking it off. How old is the skimmer? It could just be your pump is dieing. Have you vinegar bath the hole skimmer? If not try that and have the airline and adapter on. I had plenty of r/o skimmers in my time. Ive came across alot of things with them. They are very touchy but works awsome

Did you check the impeller to make sure it didn't separate some how? Where you took it off line the cooling/heating may cause that to happen resulting is it only partial driving of the impeller the added pressure of the air is likely the cause of you seeing the reduced output.

Strangely it seems to be working better this morning - I left it running overnight.

Flow was slowed without even the airline attached. I only vinegared the pump. The skimmer body I just scrubbed. It really didn't have all that much on it anyways. Though nor did the pump. It's odd. The skimmer is not quite 2 years old.

Well I would check the impeller and make sure it is OK anyway as they can expand over time and ruin your pump. CHeck that its shape is still well formed and there are no bumps, selling,or cracks. An impeller is a cheap and you would be surprised even when they look ok after a few years use how a new can improve the pumps performance markedly

It took me a while but I did get the pump to open and did clean the impeller. It may not be seated properly but I did fiddle with out quite a bit. It had tiny little spacers/washers that I wasn't positive which end of the impeller they went on - I put one before and one after.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully it continues to just situate itself.

I'm with greg, seems like any sort of pressure disrupts it. I talked with CV once and they said that when the blade separates from the magnet its hard to see but under pressure it won't perform.

OK thanks. I'll pull it apart again to double check. Had to go to work before seeing the last 2replies and it is pulling scuzz out this evening again. But I'll check the impeller again too.

Back