Reef-ready house?

The perfect reef ready house would have a tank maintenance person on site...

That way all you have to do is sit back and enjoy your beautiful reef

so I suggest a 2 family side by side with a fellow Boston Reefer in the rental

Actually I wouldn't want someone to do all the work, I think the hard work makes me enjoy my tank more. I live with my parents now, and this house is definatly reef ready. I wanted so bad to put a big tank downstairs. We live in an oversized raised ranch, and we have a nice big basement with a bar and a big screen. There was an unfinished room in the basement, that was suposed to be turned into a third bath before the people sold the house. It has all the plumbing right there ready to go, and the walls and ceiling are unfinished, and the circuit breaker thingy is in the room next to it. I was really close to talking my mom into it, but then she figured it'd be hard to take care of after I move out. The wall would be about 20 feet away from the bar, it's the perfect spot. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy the house from them....hehe yea right :rolleyes:

it would be nice to have a house that has a seperate laundry pit. seperate from your septic this way you can pump your old salt water to it and it wont wreck your septic. usually its just a pit with stone in it that just has black flexible PVC running to it.

Armando, you can plumb your waste water to a sink in your basement. I pumo 5 gallons a day for my daily water change to a nearby sink that I installed in the garage. The sink is plumbed into the house drain but the waste water drain from the sump is pumped up to and into the sink. You do not want to plumb your waste water drain pipe into your main house drain without an air gap...the sink provides this in an easy manner. The reason you do not want to plumb directly into the house drain is that: 1. it is illegal and would nullify any home owners insurance. 2. if the back pressure is too great, for some reason like a flood or maintenance workers doing repairs, water could back up from the drain into your tank....not good.

Aquaman_68 said:
Pretty much all basements have the plumbing for drains. Its in the main drain. You would have to tap into this.If the pipe is higher up in the basement you will have to get a pump box to push the water into the drain.
We're finishing up this project now. A little sump under the slop sink will be pumped 6' up to get to one of the house's drain lines.

If one is having a new house built, one can request a drain be put in the basement floor. That's very handy.

A drain in the basement floor greatly simplifies things. Mine is about 18" above the floor, which makes for a tricky plumbing job for a slop sink, but isn't high enough to really justify a sump-drain system.

Back