Votes: 17 18.1%
  • 78-80

Votes: 55 58.5%
  • 80+

Votes: 21 22.3%

• Total voters

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
After reading a few publications from Julian Sprung I am considering dropping my temp down a couple of degrees and wanted to get a consensus of others out there. From what I have read he recommends a temp. of between 74 - 78 degrees when I believe most of us from searching threads try and hold it at 78-80 whis is what I was also doing.

I have added a poll

Last edited:
i run mine at 80 in the winter and 78 in the summer.This buys you a little extra time should there be a power outage.
No option for that though;)

I voted 78-80. That just happens to be where I am most stable. My pumps keep my tank at about 78 and the lights bring it up to about 80 WITH a fan on the sump. This is February, right? I let it ride a bit higher in the summer to avoid a big daily swing. I had a faulty temp probe last summer, and my tank got up to 87 on a few occasions. What's worse is the temp probe was reading 6 degrees low. So, my tank got into the 90s on more than one occasion.:eek: I'm definately going to have to hook the chiller up this summer to keep the temp lower and more stable, especially with the addition of more halides!

Last edited:
i would like to keep mine at 78-70 but 80-82, 83 more realistic with the heat rising from the lower floors

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 230
My aquacontroller keeps it between 79.5 and 80.0. I think keeping the temp stable is more important than aiming for a certain temperature as long as stressfully hot (83+). The colder your target temp is, the harder it will be to maintain during the warmer months of the year. Without a chiller, I have trouble keeping it below 81 on really hot days.

Well, great information! I created this poll in a couple of reefing forums and I'm actually surprised at the results. I am surprised 80+ got 25 votes and the suggested temperature range from Sprung only got a single vote ;)

Here is the official results as of today

Total of 84 votes

74-76 = 1 vote
76-78 = 11 votes
78-80 = 47 votes
80+ = 25 votes

Winter 76.5 - 78.5

Summer, 78 (rainy days) to 85 (hot days) in the summer

How do you keep a reef steady at 1/10 of a degree?
Not possible, the measuring devices we use can't encompass the entire tank & are not that accurate

I keep mine at 80-82... closer 81 most of the time. My tank seems to like it warmer. It did get up to 93 this summer in my inlaws house... :( only lost a few things... they would go in during the day and turn off the fan that was keeping the tank cool.

Back