Refugium & Chaeto

pesto

Keeping it Simple!
I have a refugium with mineral mud and chaeto growing in it. Do I need to do anything with the refugium in order for my chaeto to thrive/ I have water flow through it and proper lighting. I read once that adding a pump to move the water around is helpful. Is this true?

I wouldn't add an extra pump if you have flow already. I'm of the thought that the less water flow you have in there the longer contact time the cheato has so it can suck up more nutrients...

It is sometimes reccomended to keep cheato in stronger current so that it continually rolls/bounces aruond like a tumble weed.

IIRC the main benifit is that the movement keeps it from overgrowing itself and blocking it's own light. That said, lesser flow with frequent pruning may work just as well?

My chaeto is about 4 inches thick downward, but still a very health green all the way thru. I have read also that it is supposed to be tumbled, but I really not sure how that is realistically done, or whether it matters. It is my understanding that chaeto is very effective about removing the bad stuff (although never see it quantified in a useful fashion), and therefore do think a decent flow is a good thing (e.g. the flow of a small powerhead). I guess if you see that the chaeto has areas that look like it is less green, then I would increase flow and/or expand light, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, if there are less nutrients to extract, it may retract too. It will find its happy balance/size.

I wouldn't add an extra pump if you have flow already. I'm of the thought that the less water flow you have in there the longer contact time the cheato has so it can suck up more nutrients...

I agree 100% with this.
You don't need high flow of any extra PHs.Just get in there once a week and give the chaeto a quick turn and pull it apart some.I've given so much of this stuff away it isn't even funny.Have a nice pile out in the yard as well.:rolleyes:

Back