Removing established rock

planereefer

Non-member
What does everyone think the best way to remove a rock that is at the bottom of an aquascape?

I have a piece of LR that I need to take out to remove some hydroids. However it is at the bottom of the aquascape. I want to take it out but what is going to be the best way to put it back so it doesn't get undermined by a critter?

My plan was that I could drain some of the water, which I would do during a water change anyways. I could then probably pull them off with some tweezers, but ideally I think the rock should be scrubbed before going back in the tank.

....Its gonna be a PIA just know that

No doubt!

I'm gonna remove the top rocks and put them in a saltwater bath while I work on the others which will get a bath in Freshwater, scrubbed, bath in RODI then I'll place it back in the tank. Hopefully that will work.

So I ended up removing two rocks, scrubbing them and then rinsing them in FW. I was able to get rid of both the bubble algae and the hydroids. I used a screwdriver to chip the infected pieces off. I'm also going to let those two rocks dry out, in the meantime I rearranged the aquascape temporarily.

I also have an algae bloom going on so don't mind that ;)
IMG-20130117-00198.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's growing season for algae. lol My tank is going through the same thing, although Im partly to blame because haven't had time the past month to do any w/c. :(

I'm wondering if I should add a few more CUC members...I'm still in the beginning stages of my cycle, as I have only Ammonia and not Nitrates or Nitrites so I'm a little hesitant on added anything.

I would wait it out as I think the Ammonia could end up killing off your CUC making things worse.

That's what I'm going to do, the inverts I have ( 4 snails and 2 hermit crabs and 1 conch) came with the rock and sand which I'm going to leave in there. They are eating the start of an algae bloom.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back