Return Pump: PVC or Braided Nylon Tubing?

Home depot will sell 1 1/2" spa flex which is flexible pvc, glue and cleaner the same as you would hard pvc

For the love of all things reef keeping, I highly recommend using flex to transition from pump outlet to tubing.
The vibration from my pump is so loud having only hard plumbed it, you can hear it on the second floor while the pump is located in the basement.
My biggest grievance.

I ended up going with 1 1/2" spa flex but this stuff might as well be iron on the 1 foot length scale. I think I'm going to have to replumb it with another option.

I ended up going with 1 1/2" spa flex but this stuff might as well be iron on the 1 foot length scale. I think I'm going to have to replumb it with another option.

Spa Flex is much to hard to use isolating a pump, do yourself a favor and order a short length of silicone tubing from BRS and be done with it!

Jim

PS: Use about a ten inch length of the silicone for best results.

Last edited:
Spa Flex is much to hard to use isolating a pump, do yourself a favor and order a short length of silicone tubing from BRS and be done with it!

Jim

PS: Use about a ten inch length of the silicone for best results.

This sounds like your best option. FWIW, I use a combination of soft and hard for my plumbing. It makes if easier if I need to remove anything.

Quick interjecting question - how are you guys connecting the tube to the pvc piece? I can use pvc glue? I have it so the plastic tubing fits inside a piece of pvc 90 degree piece, which then uses pvc the rest of the way. I actually dry fit everything together last night.

I think those who are using these nylon tubes or pool tubing are attaching to a barbed fitting with a zip tie or plastic clamp holding it on. Maybe others have other experience though. I don't think I'd trust the other material tubes to bond to pvc with the glue.

I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what your trying to do you don't put the flexible tube inside the PVC pipe it must be clamped to the outside diameter of the PVC pipe there is no adhesive that would reliably bond the flexible tube to the inside diameter of the pipe. You can also purchase "Barbed Fittings" of the correct size to attach to your PVC system allowing you to slip the flexible tube over it and clamp.

Jim

LOL...oh no, you understand exactly what I was trying to do...but just that what I was trying to do was a bad idea. Back to HD looking for barbed fittings.

The plastic tube seemed to fit nicely inside a 1 inch pvc fitting....figured I could glue it in. But yeah, barbed fittings make more sense. Then I can use a clamp on the outside.

Thanks for the help.

Just make sure the clamp isn't metal, even stainless steel. It seems that most people think zip ties are sufficient... you can even buy a 10 dollar tool to tighten the crap out of them.

Back