reusing dried live sand

Ray

frrrrunkis
BRS Member
so here is my question, I am adding a 40 breeder to my system and have a 15 lb bag of caribsea dry sand and another 15 lbs of dry sand that came from another tank I bought, when I bought the tank it was already dry with crud in it and even a couple of dead hermits

well I sifted all the stuff out of the sand and rinsed it several times (3 or 4) and it is currently soaking in a bucket.

Should I rinse this more? Or am I risking a cycle if I use it? Would there be problems if I put this in first and the new clean sand over it?

thanks
Ray

The only way to totally avoid a cycle would be to add all the sand mixed together very slowly over the course of a week or so.add a couple pounds a day to let the let the biological field catch up. I have added many tanks over the years back in the early 90s i went from a 100 gallon system to 2000 gallons in less than 4 months.and never had an ammonia spike or a nitrate bump

I would rinse smaller batches 'til completely clean and clear....then add as if new sand. I would add a few cups of live sand on top layer for biological and life

That is what I was thinking Andy, I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of adding sand every week to the system nor do I want to cause any stress on my corals in the cube.

What I am thinking is that I will rinse the sand till clear and make it the bottom layer in the tank then add the layer of new sand then seed with some sand from the cube. I will also be adding some live rock from my sump and display as well as some dry rock that has been thoroughly cured in fresh water.
Worse case I ditch the old sand an go buy another bag of new sand, I just hate to waste it. If the tank was not going to be tied into my display I would not care

Maybe let that circulate for a few days on its own then start a slow trickle from the return pump and open it a little more every day until I reach my desired flow.

Thanks for the input guys!

Ray, I've done what you are thinking of doing. Should be enough life in the live sand to culture clean old sand. With enough live rock, I had no cycle.

Another option would be to give it a good bleach soak to dissolve out any organics, then rinse well and dry leaving simple clean dead sand.

Back