rinse PE Mysis Shrimp

willray

Division Champs
Couple of questions:
Does it usually have a strong fishy smell?
The thawed water is milky cloudy do you rinse it b4 feeding it to your tank?
thanks

Sorry to hijack but what do u guys do. I add the cube to a little tank water and let it thaw then dump in. Do you use like a net to filter the mysis out of the nasty water? My method prob adds excess nutrients to the water that nothing uses. Any tips?

I thaw my Mysis in a little tank water and feed small amounts until gone. I don't see a need to rinse, as the rest of the "stuff" gives my filter feeders an additional snack. I buy flats of Mysis from Jay's.

i thaw mysis in rodi then pour thru a brine shrimp net add garlic and tank water then feed

I thaw my whole package, chop up clams, add alittle cyclopeze, some vit, garlic,and mix it all together. I put it on a cookie sheet, then take some extra eggcrate and use it as a cookie cutter. I then freeze it all and when it comes out I have cubes that are ready to go, no more rinsing, and alittle something to satisfy everyone. By making it back into cubes I know how much I am putting in the tank.

I thaw my Mysis in a little tank water and feed small amounts until gone. I don't see a need to rinse, as the rest of the "stuff" gives my filter feeders an additional snack. I buy flats of Mysis from Jay's.

Yes there are a few smaller pieces that will benefit filter feeders,there is however a lot of liquid you are adding,the only thing that will feed are algaes.
If you strain it though a brine net as mentioned above you will save all the tiny pieces yet get rid of all the liquid

I thaw my whole package, chop up clams, add alittle cyclopeze, some vit, garlic,and mix it all together. I put it on a cookie sheet, then take some extra eggcrate and use it as a cookie cutter. I then freeze it all and when it comes out I have cubes that are ready to go, no more rinsing, and alittle something to satisfy everyone. By making it back into cubes I know how much I am putting in the tank.

I haven't made my own tank food in while and seems like a good time to start up again.See below about garlic question.

i thaw mysis in rodi then pour thru a brine shrimp net add garlic and tank water then feed

What about the garlic?Fresh,processed,minced,powder,roasted,unroasted, and how much?

Yes there are a few smaller pieces that will benefit filter feeders,there is however a lot of liquid you are adding,the only thing that will feed are algaes.

That's' what I thought, algae fuel.That liquid was milk colored....1% skim.:p

Thanks everybody.

If you strain it though a brine net as mentioned above you will save all the tiny pieces yet get rid of all the liquid

Point well taken. I don't have a problem with algae now, but maybe I will try rinsing. Couldn't hurt right?:)

I rinse mine too and stain it though a net. If you dump a cube into the tank, you can see impurities coming off the cube. The water gets a dingy look to it around the cube. If you rinse it, you don't get that.

I recently took about a dozen cubes each of mysis, brine and forumla 2 and dissolved them in a bowl. I then strained them and rinsed them twice. I put it flat on plastic wrap and froze it. Now I just break a chunk off, disolve it in tank water and dump it. No straining now.

What about the garlic?Fresh,processed,minced,powder,roasted,unroasted, and how much?
Thanks everybody.
I purchased a liquid garlic additive i believe it is by kent, but if you cook with garlic Im under the assumption you can use the fresh juices Im sure someone can chime in
I add 2 drops per cube after it has been rinsed

.....I always wonder why people think that pe mysis is the "best"....its freshwater mysis, so how could that be better for saltwater fish than a saltwater mysis like Sallys?????....I use sallys and love it and of course i rinse it.....

.....but you know when you have an eel or a grouper, and they say not to feed it live freshwater fish, and to use damsels, (i dont want to start that war) or other salt feeders as its MUCH healthier for the fish, so why wouldnt the same be said for the mysis???????????

I put the whole cube in the tank as I have gorgonians the utilize the smallest of particles that would otherwise be rinsed away. If it wasn't for the gorgs I would rinse as yes it does add to the bacterial blooms...
As far as farlic, when I make my "fish" food I use a clove or 2 of garlic blended in with the fish food. Fresh garlic..
Just my 2 cents worth.

.....I always wonder why people think that pe mysis is the "best"....its freshwater mysis, so how could that be better for saltwater fish than a saltwater mysis like Sallys?????....I use sallys and love it and of course i rinse it.....

.....but you know when you have an eel or a grouper, and they say not to feed it live freshwater fish, and to use damsels, (i dont want to start that war) or other salt feeders as its MUCH healthier for the fish, so why wouldnt the same be said for the mysis???????????

i'm not sure where it was stated that it was the best?
The rinsing method works for all frozen food,it just happened that the thread starter is using PE.
I prefer to use saltwater mysis my self.
The saltwater mysis gets very expensive when you are feeding a lot of fish in larger systems and that makes PE a more economical choice for some.

I used to only use hikari but for cost reasons i am now alternating with PE,i just make sure i soak it in tank water for a while before feeding

Back