Stupid! I forgot to rinse my new sand

deynon09

Mid-life Reefer
I just got everything set up on my 75 and got so excited I forgot to wash my sand. Now, it's all cloudy and I have a eheim classic with a bunch of pads(including a fine pad) filtering, though I don't know if that'll do anything. Will it go away? I'll be filling up the tank the rest of the way this week and I have a sock filter on my sump with a little rubble LR. Any advice?

If it is still fresh water you could wash it while it is in the tank. I did that on my old tank.

I done it both ways...it will clear...takes abit longer unwashed....don't have to wash it...alot of people don't..the fine particles will settle

Simple dry sand. Nice and white. really pretty stuff.

"If it is still fresh water you could wash it while it is in the tank. I did that on my old tank. " - what do you mean "fresh water?" Non mixed? If so, no, it is mixed salt water.

Don't try putting anything in there yet.
I lost a nice frag plug of Blue Tubs zoas doing that.
Never did find them.

also if you can seed it that helps alot..

toss some base rock or a few scoops of 'used' sand in there to kick off the bacteria.

I used southdown and risned it about 10 times and I still got cloudy water...

I do have a heater in there getting the temp up, and when it gets up to temp, I'm going to dump all the LR back in and start aqua-scaping. Any hints on how to do it well? I don't want to end up redoing that too.

I do have a heater in there getting the temp up, and when it gets up to temp, I'm going to dump all the LR back in and start aqua-scaping. Any hints on how to do it well? I don't want to end up redoing that too.

That's all trial and error.
When I moved from a 55 to a 90 gallon I couldn't see anything till the next day.I just put the rocks in best I could and waited.

I mean how do I place base rock in a way to get a solid place to put shelves and other stuff? I'll look for other links and stuff. See what I can find. I need to get some more rock from Marc. I hear he's pretty good at putting together displays...:D lol! He's going to be gone until the end of May though, so I'll have to wait...

It is best to put the base rock in before you add the sand to maximize stability Once the sand begins to settle, if you placed the base rock on top of it it has the possibility to shift in position and create an unstable rock structure.(They might fall over)

I actually had some 2" pvc that I cut and washed. That, from what I've heard makes a great base in case the sand shifts.

also if you can seed it that helps alot..

toss some base rock or a few scoops of 'used' sand in there to kick off the bacteria.

I used southdown and risned it about 10 times and I still got cloudy water...

Yes, it will settle, but with unrinsed sand it might take a week. Add some live rock or live sand to help kick-start the bacterial growth, because ultimately it's the film of bacteria on everything that helps those fine particles stick together and settle down.

Filters, skimmer, and slow circulation is helpful.

Yeah, it settled down and is looking pretty good. Now I just need to get more LR. I am going to post some pics so I can get some input and tips. Sooooo cool!

Back