RO Membrane Question

jah-hoeva

Non-member
When changing out your membranes, if it’s a dual membrane system, do you change both at once or just one at a time) BRS 6 Stage 150 GPD system for reference)

It’s the only filters in my RODI that’s never been changed out. Going on 5-6 years. In that time I’ve changed one canister of DI, 3-5 sediment filters and one carbon block. I see 0-1 TDS entering the first DI stage.

If it’s both membranes being fed the same supply change both, if it is a water saver model where one membranes waste is the secondary membranes feed, you may be able to put the first membrane into position 2 and put the new membrane first, discarding the membrane that received the waste water.... preferably in this scenario you would confirm the first membranes performance with a tds meter as eventually you will replace both in this scenario too. Hope that makes sense

If it’s both membranes being fed the same supply change both, if it is a water saver model where one membranes waste is the secondary membranes feed, you may be able to put the first membrane into position 2 and put the new membrane first, discarding the membrane that received the waste water.... preferably in this scenario you would confirm the first membranes performance with a tds meter as eventually you will replace both in this scenario too. Hope that makes sense

I just purchased an 2nd RO membrane upgrade/saver package and was thinking along the same lines as this as well. I haven't installed it yet but I understand exactly what you're saying...

I always have changed out both at the same time. It is a good question though and staggering the swap out could make sense. Sort of like a lot of us do with dual DI canisters.

Back