Salt creep at bottom of tank?!?

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
So I noticed today that there was some salt creep along the bottom of my 72 bow front. I wanted to see what people though? I wiped it off to see if it happens again before taking pictures but it was not isolated to one point.

I picked up a 40 breeder in case it is in fact leaking. If it is leaking is there a way to salvage the tank or is it now a terrarium?

Thoughts and advice. Thanks everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it continuing to accumulate since you've wiped it off? Any strong wavemakers that are potentially causing a splash? Or a drip down the back that is resting on the back rim and creeping along to the front? If you've just done something in the tank and a little water dripped down the glass, it can evaporate and cause the salt creep.

But once you've made sure it's not coming from over the edge (or the bulkhead), clean it off and dry everything really well. Then if it is accumulating again you've got a problem. If it is a slow seep out of a seam like that, it can be a very slow accumulation of salt creep. May stay with a very slow seep for a while, or it may let loose.

You can reseal a tank; for that large of a tank you'd better be confident in the finished product as that's a lot of water on the floor if you have an error...

Ooo!! I do have creep coming from the bulkheads. Finally bought a large enough wrench to tighten them tonight. So you think they may have filled up that bottoms area and gone around the whole tank? I hope so!!

I didn't think of that and my first response was seem failure. I will keep everyone posted if it comes back! Hopefully not with a new build thread :).

Ooo!! I do have creep coming from the bulkheads. Finally bought a large enough wrench to tighten them tonight. So you think they may have filled up that bottoms area and gone around the whole tank? I hope so!!

I didn't think of that and my first response was seem failure. I will keep everyone posted if it comes back! Hopefully not with a new build thread :).

Most bulkheads leak from over-tightening rather than under-tightening, so make sure that the wrench doesn't make the problem worse.

Thanks for the advice! I was able to hand tighten it a bit more and loosen it much easier. So I am assuming I had it too loose.

Back