Sea Hair ?

irishsea526

Non-member
I have been contemplating picking up a sea hair to combat a hair algae problem i have been fighting for the past 6 months. After doing research I have seen them being classified as 'expert only'. Can anyone share any experience they have had with these guys? I am by no means an expert, having been in the hobby for about 2 years. Any advice would appreciated.

-sean

sea hair

Hello,

I had a hair algae problem about a month ago. I picked a sea hair up and within a week he went through all of the hair algae. I passed him on so that he would not starve.

Gene

What is a sea hair? I'm having some problems with the hair algae and some bubble algae( have some green emerald crabs but it dont seems like there doing there job)... ADVICE ANY 1???????????????

he meant hare as in Dolabrifera sp....I think before choosing a sea hare, you might want to make sure your water parameters are right, have plenty of flow and skimmer is operating at peak efficiency. Over feeding, phosphates in the water and low flow are major causes. Old bulbs are another cause that doesn't help. If all is in order, try lights out for a week.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Yes I did mean hare, because of the hair algae problem, I have 'hair' on the brain.

I have replaced my bulbs, beefed up my cleaning crew, and have plenty of flow ( 2 Koralia 3's in a 46g bowfront, but still cant seem to shake this algae. I have a corallife superskimmer hang on that seems to be operating fine. I have also been changing about 10 gallons of water every week. I picked up an algae blenny that loves cleaning my glass, but is not very fond of hair algae i guess. My tank has been running for a little over 2 years, and i havent had any problems at all until the hair algae began to grow about 6 months ago. If I turn the lights out for a week how detrimental will that be to my corals?

I have heard good things about sea hares when it comes to eating hair algae, but read that they sometimes emit a toxic dye if bothered. I didnt want to buy one and have it kill everything in my tank.

the hair algae wouldn't be growing without the nitrate and phosphates they need as fuel to grow.

I would look at your feeding techniques, and consider trying to get your skimmer to skim wetter.

In addition, you should test your nitrate and phosphate levels in your tank, and also the TDS of the water you are using for your water changes.

the coralife superskimmer doesn't have the best ratings....as Jay said, you can try skimming wetter. Are you using RODI water? Usually that is the first source for phosphates if you are using tap...

Back