sea mop cucumber

P-Nut

Non-member
I am planning on buying of these packages; http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/No-Crabs-Clean-Up-Package-Prodview.html but they come with 2 sea mop cucumbers. I dont want the cucumber to die or to get into one of my powerheads and its toxins kill all my fish and maybe harm my clams.

Are sea mop cucumbers relatively safe?

Before you tell me to order from somewhere else: I work all week 7am-7pm in Boston. So having it delivered during the week is not an option. I have to have it delivered on a weekend. Now, if you know another place that delivers on weekends, then please let me know. :)
And i already looked at the Unique aquaria pooled order.

ive had cucumbers in my system for 7 years never had a problem, i even had one spray when i first put it in i did a water change and no problems.

zI have had one for almost four years. The only issue I have with them is they eat your sand, and expel it clean. The only problem is mine eats it, and it is released into my rock work, so I am always scooping it out of my rock, or adding more sand. I dont know why they never do it the other way? They also split, I have given about 4 away, and have three in my tank. The only other issue I had, and this is the first time this has ever happened. He went into my overflow, and clogged my drain. Disaster was averted as my controller noticed the high water alarm, and shut it down.

All that being said, they are def something I would keep in my CUC

Good info, thanks.

Now, lets assume it desides to get inside a powerhead and gets destroyed. Will whatever chemicals it releases affect my corals and clams or just the fish?

Those will not nuke your system. The only ones you have to worry about are, like most things in nature, brightly colored ones. Brown, tan, black, and dull yellow are all fine.

I've had a cycle going for about 5 years where the original 2 I put in split or spawn or whatever then they disappear and I find 2 or 3 tiny ones in my fuge or sump.

Ive had my cuc for a while now, he just eats sand and poops it out in piles, but it breaks back up into sand.. he has had aptasia on his back, hermit crabs ect.. he dosent seem to be bothered by much.. and he dosnet knock anything over or re arange your tank like a lot of sand cleaners....
and as for powerheads.. he wont even fit in koralias.. (my cuc is about 5" long and about 1/2"-3/4" thick) obviously the open hole (return type powerhead) can suck up and mess up anything.. I had a puffer get stuck to one :( rip... if you get any cool colored/patterned ones ill take em off your hands :) Mine is black/brown, but sometimes will have bright white spots down its side, he changes.. i use to have a white one too, but that died in my sump... did not affect my tank tho.

Back