Setting up a reef tank

Silverhawk

Non-member
Well I am switching to saltwater coral.

My background, electrical engineer, and in and out of freshwater systems since about 1968. Mostly focused on discus tanks.

Avoided reef systems in the past because of the difficulty and the cots. It seems that things are better understood now than in the 70s, so it is time to jump in with both feet. Also my kids are out of the house.

I am setting up a 75 gal reef tank, with a 48 gal sump. Still in the process of determining the configuration of the system (sump, DSB).

Built my stand to hold the sump, and have my display tank. Planning on putting together some DIY LED lights, and need finish my sump (from a 48 gal breader tank).

Plan on having a refugium, but am unsure of a deep sand bed as part of the refugium. It could reduce nitrates, but has some drawbacks.

Any recommendations / advise on a DSB?

Mike

Welcome. I don't use a dsb but I'm sure some one will chime in. It seems to me that the successful reef takes time and patience. Good job doing some research and keep it up. The brs is a good resource for people's knowledge. Good luck and happy reefing. Oho as a side note if you become a brs paid member you get discounts at a number of lfs as well as online stores and you will quickly save more then the membership cost especially if your just setting up.

Most likely will become a BRS member. Hope to be at the meeting Oct 9.

Red Sox lose (aarrg) 4-3. Blown save. It is going to be a late night to see how the NYY and TB ends up.

As far as a deep sand bed, not much input so far.

I emailed Gerald Heslinga of Indo-Pacific Sea Farms and he replied

"I strongly recommend using a shallow sand bed in your fuge, no more than one inch deep. There is no valid biological or biochemical justification for a DSB but the risks are real and serious.
Add no coral for at least 30 days, no fish for at least 60 or until you see obvious new coralline growth. "

Mike

well i have seen some serious benefits for dsb, but i also agree it can be dangerous if neglected and not cared for with critters. My sand bed became real bad in 2 years because i lacked flow and cleaners/sifters.

Because of the risk, i think a remote dsb is the best idea, and if that is not possible, then a dsb in your sump would work great too. The cause/reason for having it separate is you can take the sump offline from your system to replace or maintain it from time to time without messing with your display tank. you could also add in more without causing a snowstorm in your reef.

unless you have fish that require sand, i would go barebottom or 1/2" of sand. larger grained sand is better if you will have a high flow system.

the rules he provided for adding corals and fish are not technically correct. i would do some reading on cycling your tank. once your tank is cycled, you can start slowly adding stuff.

well i have seen some serious benefits for dsb, but i also agree it can be dangerous if neglected and not cared for with critters. My sand bed became real bad in 2 years because i lacked flow and cleaners/sifters.

Because of the risk, i think a remote dsb is the best idea, and if that is not possible, then a dsb in your sump would work great too. The cause/reason for having it separate is you can take the sump offline from your system to replace or maintain it from time to time without messing with your display tank. you could also add in more without causing a snowstorm in your reef.

unless you have fish that require sand, i would go barebottom or 1/2" of sand. larger grained sand is better if you will have a high flow system.

the rules he provided for adding corals and fish are not technically correct. i would do some reading on cycling your tank. once your tank is cycled, you can start slowly adding stuff.

I put water into my tank a week ago, Red Sea salt and RO/DI water. I added some Marco rock, with a little live rock. I have about 1" of sand on the bottom. SG 1.025 at 78 Deg F.

Yesterday the chemistry was good. No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Also, no bio load.

Yesterday, I added snails, live sand, small starfish, pods, and some small hermit crabs. They are all very active.

The water is clear, a little haze in the glass.

I figure that when the coralline algae is growing, and the chemistry is good, I can start adding coral and fish slowly.

Still have not made up my mind on the deep sand bed. I build my sump from a 40g breeder, with a 15 x 18 refugium in the middle. Have not added anything to the refugium yet, so I figure my options are open.

Mike

Last edited:
Well I am switching to saltwater coral.

My background, electrical engineer, and in and out of freshwater systems since about 1968. Mostly focused on discus tanks.

Avoided reef systems in the past because of the difficulty and the cots. It seems that things are better understood now than in the 70s, so it is time to jump in with both feet. Also my kids are out of the house.

I am setting up a 75 gal reef tank, with a 48 gal sump. Still in the process of determining the configuration of the system (sump, DSB).

Built my stand to hold the sump, and have my display tank. Planning on putting together some DIY LED lights, and need finish my sump (from a 48 gal breader tank).

Plan on having a refugium, but am unsure of a deep sand bed as part of the refugium. It could reduce nitrates, but has some drawbacks.

Any recommendations / advise on a DSB?

Mike

hey mike....some like deep some like shallow.....some like no sand at all.....I prefer a little on the heavier side...keeping it clean with water changes & not alot of garbage type food sources. Much more stable...& more aerobic bacteria....But there r so many ways to skin the cat..... I like to say if ur new.....Look for people with successful reefing longterm & devise a plan that works best for u from that....I always say....someone may sound very knowledgeable....(& not even have a tank...may b just very educated & book smart...or have a chemistry background) all sounds good but the proof is in the pudding....If someone sounds smart...pic their brain but also inquire about their own system..Pics etc are nice to gauge & make ur best decision....

HTH,
B

Added sump with DSB

Well, I decided to put a DSB in my refugium. 80 pounds of the fine Marco sand. It is very fine, and should be a good choice.

The water is cloudy, and I need to have it clean up before I add anything to the fuge.

My 40g sump, plumbed up, but no skimmer.
newattachment.php

Need to add an auto top off system, I am losing about 1g per day.

Attachments

• Sump 10-4-11.jpg
    Sump 10-4-11.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 320
Back