Silicone Question

Shenlung

Tankless Wonder
I started putting the baffles in my sump, got the lower side done and ran out of silicone. I was using the AGA silicone, but at $8 for a little tube of the stuff I was wondering what OTHER silicone I could use.... preferably one that comes in a giant tube that I could use to excess and not worry about the cost too much. I'm running clean lines, but there are gaps in the the space between the acrylic and the wall because of my inexperience with a tile saw, so I'd like to run a thicker bead than I have now.

TIA!
Shenlung

You can get the silicone that's in the caulking isle at Lowes/HD. It's GE silicone I or II (forget off the top of my head) but make sure it doesn't have the anti-mold stuff in it. I had to look at several stores to find the stuff w/o anti-mold...

You cannot just use any silicone as most have algaecides in them.

GE silicone I (doors and windows)
make sure there is nothing on it that says microban or algeacide

in my area I have only found it at Lowes

Like Delta said, the GE Silicone I (Don't use the Silicone II- it has mold inhibitors and fungicides that are toxic to your tank). Home depot usually has the Silicone I, though it can be hard to find in among all the various types of Silicone II. This is the stuff you want:

Lowes & HD carries the DAP aquarium silicon for like $4 a tube...I've never needed a whole cartridge and this was great when I did my sump

hehehe...I got 2 tubes of the Silicone I from walmart for $3.50 a piece and the gun for another $4.... interestingly enough, the warning label says on it "not for: Surfaces that will exceed 400°F, conditions where FDA compliance is neccesary, or aquariums"

One more baffle and this sump will have to sit for the next 24 hours before I can reconnect it to the DT :D

While it's curing, it releases nastiness, which is why you can't put water in for at least 24 hours, right?

While it's curing, it releases nastiness, which is why you can't put water in for at least 24 hours, right?

no one awake at this ungodly hour with an answer? I would really like to refill the sump so I can run my overflow into there instead of using a 5 gallon bucket for a sump :(

Wait at least another day and if its going to be nice today put it outside might be ready later.Personally I would wait 2 days min.

Back