silicone

firstimer

Non-member
is this the right silicone thats reef safe??

2012-12-11_22.23.52.jpg

thanks

does anyone know a local place for glass? i'm looking to build a frag tank.

You need to be more specific to the use of the word local? To what? There is no location in your signature.

im from saugus mass. local to boston? would the glass at acehardware work? if i ask for the thickest they have?

thanks

If I recall the GE Silicone I, 100% Silicone for Doors/Windows/Attic, is the one you want. Anything with MILDEW blockers is NOT reef safe.

Just do a Google search for "Glass Company <Your City> MA" and you'll get lots of hits.

From prior experience I can tell you you're better off just buying a tank from someone or waiting for the $1/gallon Petco sale to come back around. Glass prices are kinda crazy, not to mention you have to do all the work, and then hope you did it right.

What size frag tank are you thinking to build? Did you figure out the glass thickness and sizes of the panes you'd need? Depending on the size you might need to brace it somehow (euro-brace, etc.). And, when/if you get a quote for the glass, make sure you get the edges polished so there aren't any sharp edges.

If you're going to build the tank yourself you could look into "Aquarium Safe" silicone. More Googling will find vendors of that. People also suggest a specific type of silicone for larger tanks. I don't recall the name, but it was supposed to bond stronger.

Aquarium Glass Thickness Calculator
http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

For a tank 24x24x12 (60.96cm x 60.96cm x 30.48cm) with a VERY SAFE factor of 5 (2.5 is the norm) they suggest 5mm thick glass (0.19in)

If you build the tank yourself make sure you get all the measurements right (account for silicone, overhangs, etc.)

If you're going to build a tank you need an adhesive silicone, not a sealant. Not all "%100 silicone" is created equal.

You want RTV100 series, scs1200 series, or something similar. Nothing at HD or the local hardware store is adequate for tank building.

order from grainger or mcmaster and you'll have it quick. Grainger might have it local, but I think you need a buisness account to deal with them. ("MrX's fish supply service", wink wink...)

LOL mr x do you build?!?! haha

lmao. No. I was originally going to build a custom tank but quickly found the glass price was prohibitive. My build thread has pictures of my prototype tank (made of cardboard!).

I think John was suggesting you make up a business name.

Yea, I was just suggesting how to set up a "buisness" account so you can deal with a wholesale operation like grainger.

i want to build a frag tank. 24x24x 6 inch tall.

Go to Craigs list, get a cheap or free tank. Take it apart and have the glass cut and build a new aquarium.
I just took apart a 90Gallon in one hour. Now I have some nice big pieces of half inch glass.

Buying the glass or the acrylic is pretty expensive, specially 1/2" or thicker.

Take apart the tank, use a really thin razor or saw blade, utility knife and silicone remover from Lowes.

Last edited:
I have a true 30 gallon you can have for free or trade for a frag ;-) . The bottom appears have been cracked at some point and resealed but the 4 sides of glass look solid. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Back