Simple temp controller for sump fan?

NateHanson

Non-member
Does anyone have a good idea for a simple cheap way to roughly control a fan based on tank or ambient temperature?

My basement sump is now keeping the tank at a really steady temperature, but on hotter days (like Wednesday!) it needs the help of a fan to keep things right at 80.5.

I am using a fan on a timer, and that works ok, but days like today, for instance, it's just going to make my heaters cycle more often.

Nate

ice cap fan with remote sensor? actually that does just speed. I use one that can be dialed in to turn on and off. I'll check and get the name an model. turns on the fan at X and off at Y - about $45, can plug anything in it.

Last edited:
Or this for 10 bucks

rfth95.jpg

http://www.nutonesales.com/attic.html

That'd be great . . . if my basement ever hit 70 degrees. I'm not sure I get that high even on a hot day. Not sure though. I'd have to check on a warmer day.

You could always put it remote in your tank stand.

There is an adjustable wall mounted one as well.

Last edited:
Piscevore said:
What about if it kicked on at 84...water temp though, instead of air?

The goal is to keep my tank between 80.5 and 81.5, so unless I get a very accurate controller (probably digital) then I think I'd better sense the ambient temp rather than the water temp. The allowable range is just to small, I think, so it would probably either run all the time or none of the time.

oops. My sump fan on a timer had my tank down to 78 degrees today (normal 80.5), so I guess the timer isn't the answer. :( I also turned up my #2 heater a bit because it wasnt on at that temp.

Mark did you just get that at HD or something? Is it the same sort of thing that Dennis has pictured right above your post?

Thanks, Nate

Back