siphon break is loud

fishmommy

Non-member
My return came with a siphon break hole that sprays water out. It is by far the loudest part of my tank and I'd like to silence it.
Would it be safe to tie wrap a piece of filter foam over it or am I asking for trouble?
Any other ideas?
siphon-break.JPG

Is that underwater or above? From pic looks above. Clog that up and make one just under the waters surface. Silent

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

X2. I wrapped plumbers tape around mine to stop it. I don't use a siphon break. I have space in my sump for overflow. But if you need the siphon break, drill a hole just below the surface as suggested.

yeah, I am thinking of doing that. sucks to have to remove the plumbing just after finally getting it all leak checked. Gonna sleep on it and decide.

How low is the water inside of your overflow? It looks like what is happening is that the siphon break is spraying into the water that is dropping into the overflow. Which looks like it is dropping several inches. If you raise the stand pipe you will silence the siphon break and the splashing from the water entering the overflow.

yeah I did raise the water level since that pic was taken, but it's still like a half inch too high. I think I am going to plug it tomorrow and drill one an inch lower. bite the bullet now or it will drive me nuts later.

What if instead of drilling a new hole u use a zip tie and fasten it just under the hole. Leave the extra in tact and allow the water to travel down I onto the side of the overflow? This should cut down on the splashing I think. Worth a shot before drilling new equipt.

I actually tried that already. :) I tried everything I could think of but the noise is still bad unless I block it so much that I worry about functionality down the road.

For what it's worth. I drill my siphon breaks in my loc line just below the water line. And I can always take the link out or move it to a diddle rent position.

The way I have mine is that the locline is just below theater surface. If the power goes out, the water drops a little and exposes the end of the locline breaking the siphon.

Anywhere you want it doesn't matter. The best part is you can remove the link if you mess up.
For the elbow that has the existing siphon break. Just wad a piece of reef putty Ina plug the hole. If it was me I'd buy a new elbow. They cost 50 cents.

thanks everyone - lots to consider. I will play with it tomorrow with the hole plugged and see whether I want to just position the outlet to provide a siphon break or drill a hole in the loc line. My sump is pretty big so I think I have some choice in the matter.
The great news is I don't need to disassemble my leak-free plumbing! Woohoo! XOXOXO

Back