Skimmer not working :( please help!!

arch85

Non-member
I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately, and I do apologize … brand new to the hobby so trying to learn from you guys as much as I can…

So it seems like our skimmer is not working … I see the bubbles forming, but they don't seem to be spinning like they used to … nor am I seeing any sort of froth on top what-so-ever.

It is completely broken? Do I need a spend more money on a new one?

I believe it's a coralife skimmer … After I noticed that it's not working, and upon careful inspection I noticed a leak in the pipe from the pump into the skimmer. I was able to fix the leak (I think …), but even after 3 days I still don't see any change.

We did do a complete system over-haul (new bed, new rocks, new water) but that was over a week ago!

Can you guys recommend anything to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

How long has it been in the tank? Could just be salt build up in the air line. Try running some ro water down it to remove any debris. If its been in the tank for a long time there might be build up in the pump of calcium you can take it apart and clean with vinager. Id try the air line first If it's a coralife skimmer they don't work so well to start with. I started with one and moved to a octopus skimmer a few months later. The difference was incredible. Good luck.

never be afraid to ask questions, ask as many as you want, just keep them different

anyway on the skimmer
IMO you probably still have a pin-hole airleak in that tubing, just change out the tubing, if you can
also you probably need to open the venturi a little more to let more airflow in to mix to get more bubbles

sounds like you cleaned the skimmer, if you did it will require another break-in period.
Just wait and one day it'll start again.

darn .. I really really don't want to spend any more money lol … spent way too much already in the last couple of months :-/ …

I'll try running RO water through it. I'm not sure if I can take it apart ; I didn't see any screws in the pump last time I looked at it. Also an in-sump skimmer is not an option for us -- we've a corner tank, and just not enough room under-neath for a big-enough sump for an in-sump skimmer … in the worst-case-scenario, can I use an octopus skimmer outside the sump?

Thanks!

Arch,

I'm not the expert but I've had my share of skimmers. I can tell you that (depending on the skimmer) a variety of things can determine if they work correctly.
Has the water level changed? I think the Coralife has the "needle-wheel impeller" and an adjustable dial for the water-level? If that's correct, be sure the adjustment knob is
seated right and actually working. If you see the bubbles and there is no spin, it could be the impeller is not rotating properly.

It's not likely you'll need to replace the entire skimmer. Most of the replacement parts are easy to come by...but I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better right now. Hopefully, some other people will pipe in. In the past I have had skimmers that didn't seem to be working then after days it begins working fine.

Double check the "leak" that you fixed. I assume you're referring to the plastic pipe connecting the skimmer body to the motor. Also check the small airline tubing going from the top of the impeller casing to the control knob.

How big is the tank? I'm sure you can get what you have to work again. I'd it worked once it will again. As mentioned above it could also be a Difference in depth of water or a pin hole air leak. So you have a sump? If so how big?

Thank you for the replies guys.

Going to try all your suggestions.

Our tank is a 92 gallon corner tank. We don't have a auto-top-off .. so the level of water in the sump/fuge keeps changing.. however it's always high enough so that the pump is always fully submerged.

Our setup is a little different.

Basically from the tank overflow, water goes into the refugium. The skimmer pump is in the refugium, and from there, the skimmer puts the clean water into the sump (pardon the terminology if it's wrong). From the sump, after some more natural filtration, water going into the main tank.

the best thing I ever did was to partition off my sump so I have a section for the skimmer where the water level never changes
have not had a skimmer issue since

Back