Skimmer not working properly with chemical filtration? Need help!

KRod

Formerly Known as Scuba Kid
Hi all,

I just finished a water change on my Biocube 29. I have an Aquaticlife 115 skimmer in the 1st chamber. I modded it so it has a piece of airline tubing running through it to increase airflow into it (instead of the stupid little plastic tube that came with it and let water leak in) and since then it has worked GREAT. getting nice microbubble accumulation and nasty green skimmate coming out.

But, I just did a water change and now it is not. The only difference I made during this water change is i added a media bag of Seachem Seagel into the second chamber (which I haven't run before). Now the skimmer is not making microbubbles, just large air bubbles, and therefore not pulling out any skimmate. I finished the water change not even 20 minutes ago, so im hoping the problem will fix itself in time but i'd like to know it will as i am leaving for a week in the morning and wont be here to fiddle with it... sigh... its always something!

Anyone experience anything similar or have any ideas as to whats going on?

Thanks!

Just give it some time. Sometimes something will make the foam collapse (like having your hands in the water) and leave skimmers doing nothing. Leave it alone and it will probably be back to normal in a day or so. If you try to adjust it so it is closer to producing foam now it'll probaly be overflowing later tonight or tommorow.

Back