Skimmer or Refugium for a Nano

HKAVR45

Non-member
I have been tossing around the idea of buying a Aqua C Remora for my 15g Tall, which would replace my HOB AquaClear 500 refugium and I am looking for some insight that will help me make a decision. Unfortunately I cannot run both the skimmer and the aquaclear because of a lack of space on the back of the tank, and a separate sump is not an option for this setup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's some background info:

Tank & Equipment
- 15g Tall
- AquaClear 500 w/ macro algae & live rock
- 2 Maxijet 400's

Live Stock
- ~25lbs of live rock
- Fish: Yellow Goby, Falso Percula
- Inverts: Peppermint Shrimp, scarlet hermits, blue hermits, assorted snails
- Corals: Assorted Zoas, Shrooms, and other "Easy Care" softies

Practices & Parameters
- was doing 5g water changes weekly, now reduced that to 2g weekly with Tropic Marin Pro Salt.

Ca 400
pH 8.0
Nitrites Trace
Nitrates 5
Alk 3
Phosphates 0

- Nano Parts A and B daily
- Iodine(and I mean a quater of what they say for 25g) once a week
- Strontium once a week.

Personally I'd take a skimmer over a fuge any day. And I think a very small fuge is probably of very marginal benefit anyways.

The skimmer/fuge combo's are not small enough for a 15.

I think for a "softy" tank that small there is no right or wrong answer.

If your ever going to add sps to that tank a skimmer would be best.

What about adding a small homemade DIY water bottle air driven skimmer to the fuge?

I have been looking into the piccolo (at least I think that's the name), which is supposed to be the smallest air driven skimmer.

I'm kind of leaning towards Nate's advice. I used to run a 29g with a remora pro and I'll admit I did ZERO water changes and tested the water about every six months. I mean I did just about every "No, no" in the book, and there was not one single death or issue for the 2 years it was up and running. I think I owe that in large part to the work of the skimmer.

See if you can find the older Precision Marine hang on tank skimmer that is air pump driven. (no longer sold). it takes VERY little space and I love it. Unfortunately their new air pump driven one is not HOT... they do sell a venturi HOT unit which, if you modify the return plumbing a little you could probably get it to take up very little space.
http://www.precisionmarine.com/html/hot-1.html

Back