Skiptons - Boston, Ma

RichConley said:
I like skiptons, but that 6:30 close time on weekdays is a killer.

Ditto, I end up having to go to [edit:removed other store name]

Last edited by a moderator:
jAKE said:
I agree - If they were open till 8pm I would be there much more often during the week.

I would almost guarantee they would have the business to support extended hours

aquarium nut said:
We close at 7pm on week day only on sat and sunday we close at 6pm
thanks
steve

I know this all to well showing up at 7pm and seeing the doors closed many times because i keep forgetting :p

How are the prices on dry goods here? Looking to start my tank and this shop is right down the street from my school. Thanks!!

it's right by my school too. The prices arent too bad on dry goods and they have alot of stuff thats hard to find, plus the crew there is more than willing to help you with anything. If you ever have questions or problems Steve over there is a great guy to get information from too :)

02f350psd said:
How are the prices on dry goods here? Looking to start my tank and this shop is right down the street from my school. Thanks!!

Which school? College? or Grad school?

After participating in the other thread, I find myself thinking..."too much negative vibe here", and got to chime in also on my favorite LFS, Skipton.

If it wasn't the distance from my house, I would visit them every day...well, let just say, prety frequently. the check out owner are very courtious and nice, and the staffs are tremendously helpful. I use to approach Leo, now Steve, and the newly hired girl. All very knowledgable and interesting to talk to.

Thanks.

I was at Skipton's a week or so ago. The store looked pretty good and I was able to chat with Steve (Aquarium Nut) for a while. He's a cool dude and will take care of you.

Steve

Skipton is one of the best store I visited. My company is about 3 miles from Skipton but the travel through cambridge takes 30 minutes. But it is well worth the time to go to skipton. Store is clean and live stock are very well priced. Steve is great to deal with.

dz6t said:
Skipton is one of the best store I visited. My company is about 3 miles from Skipton but the travel through cambridge takes 30 minutes. But it is well worth the time to go to skipton. Store is clean and live stock are very well priced. Steve is great to deal with.

Yeah Steve is the man. ALWAYS willing to help. Often when I ask a q about salt, they're like "I'm not sure, you should ask Steve".

I have purchased several things from Skipton's. It is an easy off and on of the expressway and connects easily to the Mass pike from the west. They have a new section of coral frags that are great. I always have great luck with the fish that I get from there also. Prices are reasonable and the service has been great. I like the fact that they don't bother you while you are looking, but once you've made your decision, someone helps right away.

I bought some things from Eric last week and he was very careful how he packaged up the corals, using styrofoam float so that it would not hit the bag and break. All were great when I unpacked them and acclimated them to the tank.

The reefers 10% discount on livestock is great too. I spent $220, so it was nice to get $22 back.

Thanks to the Employees of Skipton's who always make my choices easier.
They are very knowledgeable about what can be put with what and have actually steered me away from bad choices.

RichConley said:
I like skiptons, but that 6:30 close time on weekdays is a killer.

Yeah, I find myself at PJ's on RT1 *a lot* more then Skiptons, only because PJ's stays open til 9 on weekdays. I'd rather shop at Skiptons, but it's tough to get there before 7!

Steve is the MAN!!! I've been to the store only once but after i saw him running around and helping me with everything, i was amazed, he really works his butt off!!

Their water was soo clean, i was impressed by the selection, but ya i have plans of buying things there daily... but i work late so 7pm sucks!!! I wish the store would stay open til 9 or at least 8, 7 is soo early. With such a good location i bet tons of people would go there.

Do the owners of Skipton's know that us fish people work too? We fish people would love to come buy stuff after work but with the traffic situation I could never make it on time.

bought more stuff at Skipton's and Steve is freakin' great. He told me to hold up on the chromis because he's treating them with some things so its better safe than sorry and he tells me about parasites and when I was buying a clown, he put 1 back, said he has to check on it!! Who does that?? Instead he picked me out 2 healthier clowns...this place is great.

I have no complaints here, just all good news, Thanks Steve.

Everyone is great at Skipton's. Steve is great too. I was looking for some LR and he brought me down to the sump in the basement and let me go through all of his rock. Most places I go to they won't let you ouch the rock. I will miss him and his store when I move back to ohio for school. Skipton's is well worth the drive.

I have a confession to make...

I went to skiptons twice last week, which would not be bad but... I live an hour away :)

I love the little zoo frags that almost always end up being 5.00$, It's a great store in general :D

i just stopped by today and bought a nice aleveopora coral. i brought it home, acclimated and placed the coral in the tank. the polyps are already coming out and the lights just came on a little bit ago! aly was very accomodating and friendly. thanks again!

Back