So I figure this would be good for beginners before purchase..........Rock

Great Scotch

Eager salt beaver
One thing that is well known is that Live Rock (Especially the total surface area of each piece) is very important. I've found some nice pieces that were under two pounds and had something close to the surface area of a rock that I have that weighs 8 1/2 lbs. This is something that will save you some good money and then some. If you have a good LFS with well cured Live Rock then its just a matter of picking the right pieces for your tank ideas. Ask around before you buy from a new store and you'll always increase your chance to aviod mishaps and lost money.

One thing that I came across that I'm likeing more now is dry rock. The biggest thing about dry rock is that your initial cycle will take longer as you'll have to grow all the bacteria and other tons of organisms that come from cured rock. The flipside is that it is MUCH cheaper than LR. Some of my LFS have tried to sell LR for 11.99 a pound where as dry rock can be 1.99 - 3.99 a pound! Cured rock, basiclaly means its nice and slimy with weird spots and colors and things all over it. LR always made me say "Man this is an expensive hobby" ......yes, it can be but, this is one way you could save yourself a lot of money. Half and half or even 90 - 10 of dry vs cured rock. Patience is the key. I notice that you can get some unwanted additions to your tank from cured rock, but dry rock will never offer you that surprise hitch hicker you hope to care for to maturity. I have a ball anem. and I want him to get big just because he was the first random thing I saw growing in my tank. As a quick side note, I started with all live rock 25 lbs then another 25 a week later. I cycled in a week and a day! After the second batch of LR I tested my water(The first time since setup) a week later figuring I would see which spike I was in and.... Poof ~ I was done. I had a 10 ppm nitrate when I checked. I did still wait a whole month just for the sake of it. However now after all is said and done.....I wish I bought more dry rock than what I did after that initial buy.

Folks, I want to ask you all to gain examples of wisdom, Dry rock vs Cured? Price, Selection, Cycle time, and after thoughts...any regrets? If so what would you have done different?

Maybe include some of the cool stuff you got from live rock or the awesome things you did aquascaping with dry?

Pics never hurt! :cool:

~Scotch :.

Attachments

• 0917101039.jpeg
    0917101039.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 0917101039a.jpeg
    0917101039a.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 228
Back