So I made my mandarin feeder!!! and have a few more Q's?

neptune

BRS Member
I finally located a Female spotted madarin for my Male spotted mandarin who has been in my 75 gallon tank fat and happy for 2+ years. To ensure my tank could support the two mandarins I decided to make the mandarin feeder that was designed by Paul B. Mine took a few easier turns.. but I think it functions the same way. I hatched baby brine shrimp today.. and divided up the shrimp into a few feeding stations.

To make my feeder(s) I used small tuperware where I used scissors to cut the center out. I then stretched old nylons over the center cut out. To seal I just use the snap on top over the nylons. Total time was like 10 mins and total cost was 0 b/c I had all supplies in my house.

I added the BBS and salt water into the tuperware and used coral scraps inside the feeder to hold it down so it would not float away.

here are my questions:
* How long until my mandarin finds the feeder? He is hanging out all around it but has not really located the feeder...?
* In another reef tank.. my starry blenny has found the feeder and is sitting on it in under 2 hours! BUT I wanted my red ruby dragonet to find the feeder? Can a starry blenny and a red ruby co-exist with enough food? I am wondering if the blenny is scaring the dragonet away?
* I decided to feed my fish in QT the BBS also. What impact will BBS have on a QT tank? How long do the brine shrimp live? If they all die I wonder the impact in QT to the ammonia levels? or do they live until they get eaten?
* How often do you feed BBS? I am thinking once a week? they can't all be eaten in one day?

Neptune

The brine shrimp will live in there forever or until they starve. The fish will eat them way before that. Are you sure you didn't stretch the nylon mesh because if you do, the holes get to big and the shrimp swim right out and head to the surface.
The fish will find the thing when they get used to it. Right now it is new plastic and fish don't like new plastic so don't clean it. They like it better when it gets a coating of "stuff" on it.
I feed them the shrimp every day as mandarins need to eat all the time. They clean out their feeder in an hour or two as they stay there until it is empty.
Those tiny shrimp will not affect the ammonia.

blenny eating from feeder.JPG

@vinny My build is so super easy... b/c I am not handy. I took a tuperware small container... used scissors to cut out the middle of the tuperware top. Then I took a used pair of sheer nylons and covered the bottom of the container like it was cling wrap. By clicking the top on over the nylons it creates a barrier where the BBS can not just immediately leave. SUPER EASY. ON caveat... this will not sink on its own even when filled with salt water and BBS. To get it to be stable at the bottom of the tank... b/c I want my mandarins to learn to come to the exact same spot.. I had to fill the container will coral frags / shells to provide some weight. I see the benefit of Paul B's mandarin feeder b/c I propose his hands do not get wet everyday when he fills his feeder and the rigid airline tubing would help to hold it in place. I anticipate a V2!!

I think the pantyhose are critical.. once I find the exact right mesh so that the baby brine shrimp do not all escape but can be sucked up by the mandarins.. I will share more detail on the perfect panty hose brand/style. @Paul B if you know the perfect pantyhose already do share! Sheer / Opaque ??

Neptune...

I can't wait to post photos of my male / female mandarin eating and mating!!

Neptune

Back