Starting new.

nemogonecrazy

Non-member
I have been into and out of reef tanks for quite some time now. I currently have a 75 reef ready setup (very basic) which was setup nine years ago. In those nine years i have added two clown fish and a few minor corals with the intention of adding over time but that never seemed to pan out. Fast forward 9 years and two kids later with many algae outbreaks (due to laziness of course) I have decided that I will break down the entire setup and start fresh. One question I have is I plan on taking the live rock out of the tank and keeping it submerged in water with heater and pump during the whole process. i plane on taking my time so i am going to give myself a week. I am thinking that a week with no light my be bad for the rock is this true? Another question i have is if this was your setup what are some of the things you would have done differently when you originally setup. as you may have guessed i am looking for ideas.

If it was me, I would dry the rocks for a week then pressure wash it(no soap of course) and re-cure it. This will ensure any unwanted pests from the neglect are dead.
Running live rocks without any lights for long period of time will cause no harm to it.

Starting new I wish I had more money!!

I would have liked a bigger tank so I can get the pretty fish I want but won’t fit in my 72.

I would also like to do a basement or behind the wall work space for sump/refugium/qt etc. I like the people that can set up their basement sumps, but for inspiration see if you can visit @Tim190 Nashua, @nemodan in Westford or @Joe Rice in Acton. They all have separate fish rooms for their equipment that I envy. Dan has everything automated it is amazing!

So yeah bigger tank and fish room for equipment.

For the rock... I don’t know If there is no pests I would keep it live. But as previously stated, clean rock you know exactly what you are introducing into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting new I wish I had more money!!

I would have liked a bigger tank so I can get the pretty fish I want but won’t fit in my 72.

I would also like to do a basement or behind the wall work space for sump/refugium/qt etc. I like the people that can set up their basement sumps, but for inspiration see if you can visit @Tim190 Nashua, @nemodan in Westford or @Joe Rice in Acton. They all have separate fish rooms for their equipment that I envy. Dan has everything automated it is amazing!

So yeah bigger tank and fish room for equipment.

For the rock... I don’t know If there is no pests I would keep it live. But as previously stated, clean rock you know exactly what you are introducing into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you !! But it is just a standard tank. Nothing special. There are betters and more sophisticated in the club.

I just did this video for this thread.

Thanks again for the compliments!!

Daniel

Currently running around like crazy for the kids. @nemodan can't wait to sit and watch this video thank you for putting it together. And thank you guys for the input so far

Back