Starting up 55 Gallon FOWLR...

Erebus

Non-member
As stated in the topic heading, I've been flip-flopping between doing a planted freshwater and starting up a salt water and finally settled on doing a Fish-Only With Live-Rock tank. Acquired a 55 gallon tank and a pine stand. Filled it with fresh water to make sure it would handle the weight and it has done so fine. I have a HOB filter at the moment but am questioning whether it would suffice for the tank I want to do. This would be my first tank so I want to do it correctly, and am coming here for any insight.

So my question is; Is a HOB filter sufficient when coupled with a HOB Skimmer and a couple powerheads? Or should I just invest in a sump & refugium right off the bat?

My biggest regrets in starting my first saltwater tank are; 1) not going with a bigger tank and 2) not drilling my tank or purchasing a reef ready tank. I would recommend having the tank drilled if you are considering a sump. This is coming from someone who has an overflow box and sump.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated in the topic heading, I've been flip-flopping between doing a planted freshwater and starting up a salt water and finally settled on doing a Fish-Only With Live-Rock tank. Acquired a 55 gallon tank and a pine stand. Filled it with fresh water to make sure it would handle the weight and it has done so fine. I have a HOB filter at the moment but am questioning whether it would suffice for the tank I want to do. This would be my first tank so I want to do it correctly, and am coming here for any insight.

So my question is; Is a HOB filter sufficient when coupled with a HOB Skimmer and a couple powerheads? Or should I just invest in a sump & refugium right off the bat?

That depends. If you are doing strictly fish only and will keep a few small fish, then your set up is fine. Now, if you are going to overpupulate your fish tank, then it might not be enough.

Since you are adding live rock, I would go with a sump. The reason why I would go with sump is: 1)--You will end up doing a reef in the near future. 2)--you can put a skimmer down there. 3)--water changes are easier, you can change the water in the sump. 4)--You get more water. So your 55gal might turn into an 80 gallon tank. And the more water/fish ratio, the better you will be. 5)--You can add algae to the refugium as well as extra live rock. That will help with the water quality.

A little late now, but another thing to cosider is that 55g owners often find themselves regretting going with 55s in the first place. Reason being that tall narrow shape of a 55 is not very accomadating for aqua scaping options, and the relatively small surface area limits gas exchange. Not saying you can't have a nice set up in a 55, you can, but before going any farther you might want to check out something like a 58G which is 36x18x20 and see what you think.

Whatever you go with, I'd drill it and put in an internal overflow before you start, otherwise you will probably wish you had. Again, you can do it with HOB equipment, but that choice can be pretty limiting.

A little late now, but another thing to cosider is that 55g owners often find themselves regretting going with 55s in the first place. Reason being that tall narrow shape of a 55 is not very accomadating for aqua scaping options, and the relatively small surface area limits gas exchange. Not saying you can't have a nice set up in a 55, you can, but before going any farther you might want to check out something like a 58G which is 36x18x20 and see what you think.

Whatever you go with, I'd drill it and put in an internal overflow before you start, otherwise you will probably wish you had. Again, you can do it with HOB equipment, but that choice can be pretty limiting.

+1 on Both those things. I did both those things myself and regretted it. In less than a year I upgraded to a 75g RR. Only aquascape you can really accomplish with a 55 12"!! is a rock wall. Though its all up too you it is your tank. You might like it that thin.

Also Over Kill the Filteration as much as you can. Because Saltwater stocking is very different than Freshwater, Where in that 55 you could get maybe 40 small tropical fish you wont be able to get a 1/4 of that in a 55 FOWLR
and you will want a lot of fish since you don`t have all those pretty corals to look at LOL

Good Luck With whatever you decide.

-Owen

to add something

My friend Got my old 55 that I was using and we are in the middle of setting it up as a FW planted and I`m starting to regret giving it to him Cause it looks so Good LOL We are focusing on schools in this tank and so far it looks Awesome!

I have heard that from a few people and I certainly do not have as much experience as some but I have had a couple 12" deep tanks including a 55 and do not think they were that hard to aquascape. You have to plan things out a bit and be a bit more selective in the rocks you use but I think things have turned out well. If you have the capabilities I also would recommend a sump, however, it can certainly be done without one as well (my 55 doesn't have one). Just go slow and research all of your purchases. If you get a HOB skimmer, don't get a cheap one. I was looking into a new one and have read decent reviews on the newer reef octopus and aquamaxx(I think).

If you're happy with it by all means go with it :)

Yup, that is the beauty of the hobby. Just trying to give some positive encouragement and show that a 55 can work well. Of coarse if I had room for a 75, I might be even happier ;) Actually I think my ideal size would be 60x18 with a small sump, but that will have to wait for awhile.

Back