Starting over with 75 gallon system.

GeltzJG

Non-member
I was steered wrong by my local fish store and I'm starting over and looking for some advice. I had a 30 gallon system for seven years and didn't have a clue what I was doing, but managed to keep a damsel, clownfish, and a pseudochromis alive. We moved to a new house and now want to try to do it right this time. I have the fish in my new 75 gallon tank, but I've realized that I need more live rock and I want to put in a deep sand bed.

1. Should I buy the rock online or at a local fish store to minimize the curing process while my fish are in the tank? I could cure the rock in my old tank, but I wouldn't have a good light on it and I'm sure there would be further die off on the rock.

2. I have an Urchin protein skimmer in the sump and it looks like it only goes works up to 75 gallon tank. With the sump, I'm afraid that might not be enough?

3. If I want to keep fish and corals in there, what kind of powerheads circulation should I put in there? Right now I have two Korlia 750's plus the sump.

(I already have the AI Sol lights coming in)
Thanks for any help you can provide

1. You could buy rock from a local reefer, that way the die off should be zero or minimal. The rock wont really need light.
2. The skimmer should be enough to get you started if I understand what ur saying
3 That may be enough flow, again at least to get you started .....

The deep sand bed will take a while to cycle even with established live rock

hopefully others will chime in

good luck and welcome to BRS

The rock from a fellow reefer would be the best in my opinion as well so you don't have to cure it just be aware of pest and ask who you get of from regarding it. And look for it yourself... Also agree the skimmer is a good start but may want something bigger once you load it up with coral. I have the AI sol as well just be carfull of the placement regarding hight above water and the intensity you start it at with coral you wanna keep. Any questions regarding those lights you can pm me

Back