Steve's Tank Build

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to put the glass tape on the seams. I'm finally done drawing up the basic layout so now it's time to start ordering everything up. My next post here will be when I start building the tank.

Attachments

• Tank & Cabinet4.jpg
    Tank & Cabinet4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,076
... Sister! ;)

So no halides Steve? Just to be on the safe side, I'd have the interior of the cabinet glassed in too. At least you'll never have to second guess whether or not it'll hold water safely.

... Sister! ;)

So no halides Steve? Just to be on the safe side, I'd have the interior of the cabinet glassed in too. At least you'll never have to second guess whether or not it'll hold water safely.

Correct, this will be T5 and mostly an LPS softy tank with less demanding SPS in it. The inside of the canopy and stand will be coated in white epoxy paint. And, after a bunch of people recommended it, I will be glassing the corners of the cabinet.

Yeah, but I have a feeling that if this comes out as nicely as I want it to, that I will be happy with it for awhile. I will definitely have a nice, large, in-wall tank one day, but I will probably put it off awhile so we can focus on getting a bigger home and making babies...or at least practicing more often ;) :D

Yep, in the woman's eyes, practice makes... practice. I mean perfect. :D

In-wall is the way to go. In my house the only place I could put it in-wall is in the basement, which would suck.

No stopping me now! I just ordered up the glass. I ordered 3/8" glass all around with a low iron front pane. It's going to be about $215 for all with the edges polished and should be ready for me in a few days.

Great diagrams Steve - good luck. Whats your eta for completion? sorry if I missed that ? earlier.

My ETA for completion in the end of July, but I'm hoping for earlier than that.

UPDATE! My glass is DONE! And...To boot...it came out cheaper than they quoted me. $197 for all 5 pieces!!

I also placed my orders today for the silicone, epoxy paint, bulkheads, & locline.

Thats a nice setup Steve, but in thinking about it, I would use a conventional glass or acrylic sump (probably custom) in place of the built in.

Jim

Thats a nice setup Steve, but in thinking about it, I would use a conventional glass or acrylic sump (probably custom) in place of the built in.

Jim

I have no room to get one of any decent size in there unless it is built in with no way to get it out. You seem kind of worried about the plywood sump, Jim...any reasons why? After seeing many plywood tank builds online that hold far more water, I'm not worried at all, but maybe I'm just being naive.

The entire plywood frame will be very solid. It will be 3/4" cabinet grade ply pocket screwed together every few inches. Between that, some strong water resistant glue, glass tape, and epoxy paint, I'm hoping it will be fine.

Steve,

I have restored wood boats and built a few water storage tanks and built-in coolers, we always glassed the seems inside and out and full glass inside, done this way they are 100% reliable. I just don't like the idea of seams only and epoxy paint, but I may be overly cautious. I like the overall design, its really neat.

Jim

Wow, nice project. I always wanted to build my own tank but never have the gut to actually do it. I was wondering if you can tell me the name of the glass store that you ordered them from? Maybe someday i summon enough courage and i would order the glass and build my own tank.

Thanks

Wow, nice project. I always wanted to build my own tank but never have the gut to actually do it. I was wondering if you can tell me the name of the glass store that you ordered them from? Maybe someday i summon enough courage and i would order the glass and build my own tank.

Thanks

I went through Contract Glass in Wilmington.

So I was thinking that maybe I should make the canopy shorter and more slim. And, maybe instead of using the middle bulkhead for a wire chase, that I could have a telescoping pole go right through and mount to the lower cabinet. This way I would be able to slide it up and down and possibly even have it hold in a "semi-up" position to show off the trim-less tank. This would put the T5s about 2" off the water though in the lowered state...too close? What do you think?

Attachments

• setup1.jpg
    setup1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 936
  • setup2.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 943
I'd feed the skimmer off the drain and save yourself the feed pump. JMO.

Ya it can cause skimmer level issues.....maybe split the overflow drain in two, and have half go to the skimmer and the other half to refugium?
You could do fancy valves an stuff to controll flow.....

Anything to avoid another pump is my motto.

Back