Stichodactyla gigantea

Cjtabares

PBITAWA
BRS Member
I have a few questions about Stichodactyla gigantea and if my setup would work.

I was thinking of switching my tank around from the run of the mill sps tank to an anemone and clown pair tank. I was thinking of just keeping a single Stichodactyla gigantea and my 2 ocellaris in my 45 gal cube (24"x24"x18"). The main reason I chose a S. gigantea was because I already have a pair of ocellaris. I was going to move my rock into my sumps and sell the few sps I have now. I guess I want to do something a little different then every other tank out there. I have a few questions

1. I am running bare bottom now but what would be the best substrate, I read mud/rocky? What would I use?

2. I run a 36 diode LED fixture, 18 xp-e royal blue and 18 xp-g cool whites, I will be switching 6 of the whites for 3 Philips Rebel Cyan 3W and 3 Osram 660nm 3W Red. In your opinion will this be ok? Any one have experience with one under LEDs?

Thanks Chris

instead of adding reds , i would just add warm whites. Gives you the red you need, and more power at the same time.
dim the light and feed alot for 2 weeks, then bring power up slowly. You DO NOT want to bleach it. they need tons of par, but most nems are already stressed in this hobby to begin with.

IMO, 45 gallon may be a little small for a gigantea. I don't mean the physical size of water volumn, I mean the stability of the tank.

I have about 10-15 gal in my sump but after doing a little more research and asking questions it seems I have picked one of the hardest nems to start with. I think i will look for another natural host for my ocellaris pair.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back