STiTCH87's 40g Breeder Starfire Build

Lol no joke, but yes. I walked into my local Petco today on a whim. Just because I was passing by. Now I usually HATE this store and usually refuse to buy livestock there, but I was like meh they have cheap Ocean Nutrition food so I swung in with the intent of buying some flake food. I waltz in, expecting to make a few jokes to my fiance about their livestock, and there's this pair of Grade A Picasso clowns for sale labeled as "semi-picasso clownfish" for $140 for the pair. I looked at my fiance and was like "Crap... Crap... Crap... Should I? Crap..." I've been looking for so long for a nice pair that I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Plus I had rewards points to cash in on my card from when we buy pet supplies for our rabbit and hamster online from them. So I got the pair for super cheap. I usually would still never trust the place, but I felt I have enough experience as to where I could see just how healthy this pair was. And the women working in the fish department actually had a very impressive knowledge of saltwater tanks so I was convinced I was making a good decision.

...don't judge me...

Lol.

I've actually been pretty lucky with fish from them the past few years. I've been eyeing a pair myself. They have been there a few weeks and eat well. If they are still there and healthy next week I'm going to snag them.

I'd say go for it as well. They're certainly still FAR from an LFS for quality and knowledge, but they have most definitely upped their game at a handful of stores. I know there's still stores without a SW section, or with ones that are tragic and disgusting, but I went to the one in Dartmouth and have to say everything looked very healthy and professional. They had a beautiful Hi-Fin Butterflyfish (Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish) too amongst many fish to choose from. Nice bi-color blenny I may pick up in the coming weeks too.

Eshopps S-120 Skimmer will be here Tuesday afternoon. Will it make the water crystal clear and get rid of this algae bloom in my water column? IDK...
Will it get rid of the nasty film on the water surface in my sump's drain section, yep. Will it get rid of my dinoflagelate growth? Most likely.
Good enough for me! Hey, any cleaner water is a plus in my book. I really gotta get around to setting up the refugium with chaeto and a sandbed. Never did do that...

Did I mention setting up my dream 40g tank is expensive as hell? I'm nearing $2,000 for this build i'm sure (I'm afraid to add everything up, but it's gotta be there.)

Lol let me know how you like it I inquired at Unsedwater World about ordering one last week. I need to trim my cheato soon so let me know I'm not far from you I could give you some.

Last edited:
Well i've been reading that caulerpa (sp?) is better than chaeto for a refugium? IDK how true that is, i'm going to research that more tomorrow night, but I appreciate that offer and will certainly keep it in mind.

I didn't know Underwater World sold Eshopps stuff. Hmm. Yeah I thought it was going to be in Tuesday but now it looks like Thursday. It's gotten nothing buy amazing reviews online by everyone. Was unable to find even one negative review.

They will order just about anything you need and at great prices. I had the larger eshopps cone and loved it. It just didn't fit in the sump I have. I think I want to start running biopellets so I want to get a stronger skimmer. So definately let me know how the s120 works out.

Thank you! I'm going to grab a better camera and try and take some more legitimate photos tomorrow night if I remember.

Skimmer came in today!

I must say first and foremost, this this has EXTREMELY HIGH quality to it's build. Now as far as operation goes, the thing is sooo quiet!!! I honestly could barely even hear it running even when I had my return pump off!
I also know people had asked me for a photo of my sump setup, so here it is.
Please note, the green bag thing in the sump is a mesh screen I placed against the intake of the return pump which helps greatly in catching any bubbles before they enter the return line. Works like a charm and I clean it every other day with a quick freshwater rinse.

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

As you can see in the photos, it's overflowing like mad and i'm expecting will continue to do so for the "72 hour break in period".
Please note I did not rinse the skimmer in hot water or clean it or do anything but go straight from box to tank since there was nothing in the directions suggesting to do otherwise.
Not to mention, the water that is being skimmed is from a tank that needs a waterchange, and has a diatom/dinoflagelate phase going on. So i'd say it's safe to say the water has too much crud to clean for the skimmer NOT to freak out.

I'm going to do a 25% water change tomorrow night to help give the skimmer a head start in catching up and also to hopefully remove more nutrients that are feeding my dinoflagelate growth.

I also moved a brick red acan from my pico into my 40g and the color difference was amazing!

Here it is now in my 40g after just one day:
IMAG0099-1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic, it made my rocks all blue looking because cellphones suck with LED lighting, but as you can see, and it's very close to true-to-reality coloration from the photo, the acan is now a pinkish red color with blueish purple specks.
It also has a dark purple mouth with teal streaking that's tough to make out in the photo. I'll try and get a better shot with a real camera tomorrow IIR.

Last edited:
Nice looking sump setup! Keep this thread updated , I love watching others with same tank size as mine, even if I makes me jealous. :)

do you think you have room in that sump (water from the display) in the event of power outages . The baffles are kind of high to me

Have you tested it yet? just unplug your return pump for 10 minutes and you shall see

Skimmer came in today!

I must say first and foremost, this this has EXTREMELY HIGH quality to it's build. Now as far as operation goes, the thing is sooo quiet!!! I honestly could barely even hear it running even when I had my return pump off!
I also know people had asked me for a photo of my sump setup, so here it is.
Please note, the green bag thing in the sump is a mesh screen I placed against the intake of the return pump which helps greatly in catching any bubbles before they enter the return line. Works like a charm and I clean it every other day with a quick freshwater rinse.

View attachment 81347

View attachment 81348

As you can see in the photos, it's overflowing like mad and i'm expecting will continue to do so for the "72 hour break in period".
Please note I did not rinse the skimmer in hot water or clean it or do anything but go straight from box to tank since there was nothing in the directions suggesting to do otherwise.
Not to mention, the water that is being skimmed is from a tank that needs a waterchange, and has a diatom/dinoflagelate phase going on. So i'd say it's safe to say the water has too much crud to clean for the skimmer NOT to freak out.

I'm going to do a 25% water change tomorrow night to help give the skimmer a head start in catching up and also to hopefully remove more nutrients that are feeding my dinoflagelate growth.

I also moved a brick red acan from my pico into my 40g and the color difference was amazing!

Here it is now in my 40g after just one day:
View attachment 81349

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic, it made my rocks all blue looking because cellphones suck with LED lighting, but as you can see, and it's very close to true-to-reality coloration from the photo, the acan is now a pinkish red color with blueish purple specks.
It also has a dark purple mouth with teal streaking that's tough to make out in the photo. I'll try and get a better shot with a real camera tomorrow IIR.

Last edited:
Well i've been reading that caulerpa (sp?) is better than chaeto for a refugium? IDK how true that is

caulerpa may be better at nutrient uptake but runs the risk of getting into your display and growing on your rocks, and there's also a risk of it going sexual and nuking your tank. i'd stick with chaeto.

Do you have the skimmer in the manufacturer's recommended water line? And doing water changes will actually make the dinoflagellates worse, I would stand pat and let them run their course. Do a complete lights out period for 3 days and avoid the water changes and they should be gone. Skimmer looks really nice by the way....

Last edited:
Welp, the heck with caulerpa then! Lol you convinced me of that being a baaad idea lol.

Yes KungFuKid, I have tested the sump. I unplug it everytime I feed along with when I do any tank maintenance. No issues. I also have a check valve on the return line, so no water flows back into the sump from the return during power out except the small amount in the plumbing between the return pump and the check valve. I still have a good 2 inches or more of room before it gets near the rim when the power is out. The baffles look high but they're actually only 9 inch tall baffles IIRC. Everything works like a charm. I need sand and chaeto for my refugium though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And good call RadReefer, before I read this today I had actually realized they said 8-10 inch run depth and my water line was a bit high. Didn't measure it exactly, but I put a small plastic prop under the skimmer and now it is running BEAUTIFULLY! I kid you not, within 5 minutes there was already a nasty greenish brown rim of gunk at the top of the cup.
Amazingly, the skimmer is even more quiet today than yesterday! It sounds even quieter than a small PC fan. I shot a video i'll post sometime soon.

A water change makes them worse? Really? Hmm... I was told they grow from silicates and phosphates. Both of which I thought would be removed with a waterchange?

Now you're making me wonder... And yeah I think they lights out idea is going to be my next step if they don't go away soon.

Last edited:
Everything is looking good! I have got a 40 breeder ex-cichlid tank that i am resisting the urge to tie into the 54 and make it a softie tank, and keep the 54 all sps which is the direction its heading at this point. If I may suggest the possibility of what you are seeing as being diatoms, and not Dino's. personally I have never dealt with Dino's (hopefully never have to either) but of the three reef tanks I have setup all of them at about the three-four week point get the diatom bloom. It sticks around for a solid two weeks then disappears as quickly as it appeared. Just part of the new tank establishing/cycling.

I say do it! It's one of my fave tank dimensions for sure!
And yeah i've always thought it was diatoms myself. Only grows on the sandbed. Not on the rocks (was for like one day...) nor on the glass.
IDK they're weird looking like little brown plants. I gotta try and get a good macro shot of them. They aren't slimy at all and do not release bubbles when stirred up.

I've had both diatoms and dinos in my old 29g and both went away very quick and neither looked like these really so IDK what's up lol.

I'm gonna see if my skimmer helps to clean the water enough to keep these things in check a bit.

I battled dinoflagellate in my old tank and after a water change they were better for the first day but always came back much worse. The lights out for 3 days and no water change was the only thing that worked. You need to have complete darkness though even if it means covering the tank. Your corals will be fine without light for 3 days so don't worry about that. The hard part is not being able to look at your tank during that time period.

Skimmer looks like its gonna pull out some massive sludge but it shouldn't be overflowing like that you should dial it down a bit. And another suggestion I would turn it the other way 180 degrees so you have access so you can dial it in easier. Looks great though.

Back