Strange...Schooling percs and ocellaris clowns

addictedreefer

Non-member
Yesterday I added two species of clownfish as the first fish in my 210. I added a mated pair of true percs, as well a pair of ocellaris. I anticipated some jousting for territory soon followed by the pairs separating by species. However, ever since their introduction, the two pairs have been schooling together with no apparent aggression! I find this very strange as I would expect the two species to mix like oil and water at first. I might even be able to understand this if they were all juveniles, but the percs are an established pair. Has anyone ever heard of, or observed this behavior??

I've seen a 90 gallon tank at a LFS house around 10 clown fish of 4 different species together in their NFS display tank. I dont think I've ever seen them nip or chase each other so I guess its possible and most likely because you added them all together at the same time so none of them are defending their territory from unknown outsiders.

I just thought it was more strange because the percs are a mated pair. Also, I would imagine that agression would be more evenly dispersed amongst 10 clowns than 4 in species pairs.

How big are these clowns?

FWIW hanging out in a big group is normal for same sp clowns.... Until the aggression starts sorting them out.

The female percula is rather large, approx. 3 inches. Her mate is much smaller. The 2 ocellaris are somewhere in between.
Jimmy, I have heard of same sp. clowns forming large groups as juveniles, but what makes this unique is that these clowns are of 2 different species, and at least 2 of them are mature.

It will be interesting to see if it lasts. It must be nice to watch all the silly wiggling clown fish together!

Back