Structural integrity of stand for 120

Mcubed

Hey everyone,

I'm building a stand for my new 120 gallon tank. This is my first saltwater tank so I'm still trying to learn a lot. I want to get people's opinion of whether or not I need center braces in my stand. It's a standard 4ft x 2ft x 2ft 120 gallon. I've talked with a bunch of people and I've heard conflicting opinions of whether or not I need a center brace with a 4ft. span. The top frame is built with 2x6's and everything else is 2x4's. It's skinned with 1/2" plywood and has a 3/4" top sheet. I'm not finished staining it yet :)

What does everyone think?

bfgejd0014.jpg

tanjgkjnr0019.jpg

tanjgkjnr0016-1.jpg

Nice looking stand. You should be fine from a structural stand point, but might want to think about corner or cross bracing so the tank won't wobble on the stand.

There doesn't appear to be much reinforcement to prevent it from 'swaying' because of its open design. If it were me I'd add some cross bracing in the back. Just my opinion.

the top and bottom plywood wont let the stand go anywhere iv seen way way worse on larger tanks, judging from the pictures the front and side panels are one piece of plywood. which add a lot of strength to the over all the stand is very nice will look even better when you have a tank on it.

Why does ever DIY project have beer in it? Not judging, I've been known to have a couple (thousand).

Not sure about other DIY projects, but I wanted to show the proper scale and size of the stand and I figured a beer bottle was a commonly known object :).

Back