Success rate if adding Tangs

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
Curious what the overall success rate of adding a new Tang, to a tank with tangs already, is.
For example, I have 150 gallon tank with three small to medium size tanks. Of those include a blue hippo, a sailfin, and a powder brown. Not that I’m looking to add anything in the very near future, but I’m just thinking down the line if I were to want to add another Tang, is it even possible or is it almost 100% chance it’s going to get beat up and die.
“Possible” tangs that I have thought about adding (would likely only be 1 more) would include possibly an achiles, or a unicorn, or purple, or maybe a Sohal.
I have the thought in my head that it will be fine so long as I get the new Tang the same size as the ones I have, if not slightly bigger.
Just curious, and others experiences.

The simple answer is that it's probably a crap shoot. Having said that I have five in a 120 gallon tank with a lot of rock and they're doing very well. I started with a single yellow and added a smaller purple. After about a year and a half they were both finally able to swim out in the open together. I bought a fish tank that was being shut down that had three tangs in it and I really only wanted the hippo. I had them in a small quarantine tank for a bit and they were getting along fine. I decided it would be easier to add the three to my existing two than trying to add just a single one, so in they went. No issues at all. I have a 240 sitting in my kitchen that I hope to get going this spring.

Attachments

• 20230217_142541.jpg
    20230217_142541.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 61
I have a Vlamingi, mimic, powder brown, hippo, yellow, and just added a blond naso and orange shoulder with very little disruption. Before those two there was a kole I got from someone though and it was causing problems and was removed. I tried adding two yellows at the same time in the very beginning and they fought relentlessly.

Back