Sump design - looking for comments

rharlow

Non-member
Attached is a sump design I'm building this weekend. I'm looking for any comments before I build, just a way to double check I haven't screwed up. I would rather find out now before the acrylic is welded, than after. The perimeter is gluing up now, and plan to do the internals tomorrow. Please suggest away! As far as the plumbing pictures, those aren't settled yet, don't know where I want the fuge input tp come from - off the return pump or off the overflow to sump. Thoughts? Thanks for any comments and suggestions!!

Chip

Last edited:
I lik it :) Its alot like mine ... I just need a bigger skimmer.

Can you send me a copy of that CAD drawing.

Ps Is that your dog in the Avatar........Beautiful.

The design looks great... One comment... you are going to need room for a "muffler" on the pipes that dump into the sump or you will get very loud bubbling sounds and lots of salt spray everywhere when the bubbles pop.

Do you know what I mean?

I'll take some picks of what I did if you need them.

Good Luck!

RTC

Not sure what you meen by muffler. The 2 1/2 x2 1/2 box in corner is where I plan to have the "dump" pipe. It will be submerged about 1" from bottom and will have to overflow that corner box. Does this take care of the noise or do I need something else. Thanks for the comment!

Mad Reefer - yes, I can send you the cad drawing, pm me your email. And yes, that's my girl in the avatar - Belgium Sheepdog! Thanks

Chip

If I was perfect I would have increased the size of the pipe after the elbow to 1" from 3/4. This would have slowed the water flow down and allowed for more air/water separation. The horizontal pipe has many 1/4 inch or so holes on the bottom side allowing the water to escape from the bottom and all the air sucked in by the overflow to escape through the "vent pipe" at the top. I placed a cap over the vent because it was bubbling out too and was causing salt spray. (since then I slowed the flow through the fuge and this is not an issue any more but I kept it Just in case)

So in the pic, all the water enters the fuge, and the air/bubbles goes up the vent thereby eliminating the bubbling and gurgling sounds.

Do you get it? :D

Ok forgot to upload the image...

Attachments

• SumpDumpMuffler.JPG
    SumpDumpMuffler.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 318
RTC - understood - thanks

A couple of progress pictures!

Chip

Attachments

• sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 229
  • sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 220
Sump Complete - Water tested OK!

Well sump is complete and it actually holds water without leaking. First acrylic project and it wasn't too difficult. Here it is under the tank. I think this is the cleanest the sump and tank will ever look!! ;)

Attachments

• SumpComplete.jpg
    SumpComplete.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 258
all i was going to say is.....make sure your return compartment is big enough so that when your watre evaporates it won't low in a day and a half like mine does....and make sure you have a power safe sump....if your power shuts off the thing better be able to hold all the water from the overflow and all in the pipes...the return might also start sucking water back in and overflow the sump..

Im not saying yours will do it, im just saying you should test it once you put water in the system just so that you don't have to come home to water all over your floor if you lose power.

-Chris

RTC - those are cabinet legs (as in for kitchen cabinets) hold 450lbs a piece. I'll be mounting a kick board to them.

Chris - Thanks. I plan on having an auto top-off with a Kalk reactor (running at night - next project) and also drilling the return line with a "suction break" hole to hopefully prevent water sucking back into sump on a power loss. Tank is in the basement family room and the wife hates the rug, so I can probably get away with one flood! Not that I want that to happen though!!! :rolleyes:

Chip

Back