Sump recommendations for shallow depth stand

Matt W

Chemist
BRS Member
Any Sump recommendations for shallow depth stand? My stand limits me to a 12" depth sump (front to back)?

You can do a custom acrylic sump. The concerning thing about 12" of depth to work with is how will you be able to fit a good enough skimmer in there. Of course, more info like what's your display tank size will help.

just be sure whatever size you manage to fit can handle the extra volume of water if power goes out or you shut pumps and skimmers off to feed.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, especially considering my lazy initial post... I will also start a build thread for this project soon.
I currently have a 8 g Nano reef and multiple planted tanks, but this is my first foray into sumps; so adive is needed.

The project will involve break-down of my current display tank (high tech planted), keeping many of the ecotech products and other current equipment used on the tank currently in the photo below:

Display FW.jpg

Tank Dimensions: 30" x 16" X 18" (35 g / 480 L)

Here is here the stand and dimensions in the photo below. I have about 20-22" x 12" usage space to work with after center panel is removed.

Stand for sump.jpg

To fit the sump, I plan to remove the center panel and add additional bracing.

cut stand.jpg

I plan to use a Mame M overflow, one or two in parallel (TBD), and found one sump for consideration, the UP22 SUMPRO SUMP - SKIMZ which is 22” L x 12” W x 15” H but it would not leave much space length wise.

I would love some any suggestions! I would prefer to keep the stand, but would consider a new one custom built too. Thanks! I've added some other equipment I am considering for use below.

Tank: Low-iron rimless 30" x 16" X 18" (35 g / 480 L) [current]
Stand: see above
Lighting: EcoTech Radion XW30 1st gen [current] (upgrade to wide angle TIR lens)
Power Heads: MP10W [current], add second MP10W QD
ATO: Tunze 5017 [current]
Controller: add Apex Netptune
Dosing: 2 BRS pumps [current]
Sump: HELP NEEDED (UP22 Sumpro Sump - Skimz?, custom?)
Return pump: TBD (SYNCRA SILENT 3.5 PUMP (660 GPH) - SICCE will fit in Skimz sump, would prefer VertaM if I could fit)
Overflow: Mame M (1 or 2)
Skimmer: considering COMLINE DOC SKIMMER 9012 DC - TUNZE

Sounds good. Looks like you've been planning it for awhile. Going custom acrylic or build your own out of acrylic is the way to go.

Can anyone recommend a builder? Preference would be given to one that would also help with the design.

Back