Tang compatible 2 gallon fish bowl build thread!

new2saltyfish

Non-member
Just finished the long drawn out process of setting up my tang compatible 2 gallon fish bowl...just kidding. I figured i should say just kidding or someone would go out and try it. Anyways, been out for a while and a betta just wasn't cutting it so i decided to turn the bowl into a small reef. Looking to do mostly zoo's, maybe a few choice sps who knows. Still need to pic an L.E.D. bulb that will fit inside that fixture and setup the filter which should sub as a good amount of flow more then anything.

11bublk.jpg

2vinxaf.jpg

2iuc7eg.jpg

opuzgy.jpg

Might take the top rock out...looks a lot more crowded with water in it because of refraction with the water and the bowed glass.

Last edited:
If your going to go that route and not like par led bulb. I would suggest just like a 23watt or higher cfl bulb

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Won't the low K temps on the CFL bulbs grow algae instead of corals? The L.E.D's just have a tendency to discolor lps and burn zoo's and i'm not doing sps in this tank.

I used the 50/50 you posted years ago and it wasn't enough light to keep the little hammers developed on my hammer in my nano. I think a viper 70w would be sickkkk.

So i bought a nano 501 filter and it seems to be doing a decent job, even gave the tank a decent amount of flow with the return. Does anyone think i still need an airpump to oxygenate the water or is the simple filter circulation enough?

i used 2 of the 10w 50/50 lights on a 10g. they were NOT enough. mushrooms only ....maybe.
The 20w version is better, and kept softies and a few lps in the 10g growing...... but you are still wasting a lot of light because of bad reflection.
Lastly, the bulbs only last 6 months before significant drop in power.

i would get a boost led par 30.

Was looking online for par 38's...are the ones on Ebay the same? I see some that have a 5000-6500 K and i know those are more for plants; some had the 10000 to 12000k which i know i'm looking for but some have red bulbs/ just blue and white...anyone know what i should be looking for/ if the ones on ebay suck? They all say PAR 38

how does this for a tang setup?

don't get the tang police this is how mu buddy had him when I went to help transfer tanks. he was picking on the other fish in the stock tank during the transfer. so he took him out and put him there for the rest of the move. I just took the pic it made me think of this post. fish is happy and healty in a much bigger tank now
2 gal tang.jpgtang 2.jpg

Last edited:
hahaha that trumps it. Pretty sure those get even bigger then tangs haha. Nice little tank though, stocked with corals now?

Back