tang vs green chromis

clamm

Nothing to nobody
I am now down two tangs. I lost my kole tang last night. I got to figure out why before I replace it. Nothing has changed in the tank. Water Param are great. The kole had a black splotch or discoloration near the right pectorial fin, but I bought it anyway. It got ick, not real bad, I have seen much worse. But I looked for it last night and found a body with no eyes.

The only fish that is aggressive enough to cause problems is a 2" green chromis, do you think it could be stressing them to the point they die?

I had the same thing happen to a power blue in the same time period... Any advice?

Thanks,

Casey

Powder blues are supposed to be able to hold their own - even if they're the last fish in the tank.
I doubt the chromis caused the deaths. That's my opinion, anyway.

My PBT takes nothing from anything in the tank. He's probably the toughest fish in there aside from my flesh eating Tomatoe Clown.......

I agree with both of you...so thats whats puzzling me. I feed garlic, and selcon, with a mix of frozen and veggies... every day...they both were eating...

any opinions...cause I really don't think the ick did them in either cause ive seen stuff alive with alot worse.

How long did you have them before they died? They could have had some kind of internal parasite when you bought them.......

When a fish dies the scavangers get to it very quickly. The softest part on a fish is the eyes so the fact that the fish was missing htese is not suprising and IMO not significant - Bristle worms could have eaten them out overnight. My guess would be parasites, improper collection(cyanide) or poor acclimation could be causes of death depending on how long you have had them.

Have you had any power outages lately? Espically at night or when it was really warm out? Did your tank overheat or has it been fluctuating a lot temp wise lately?

JMO but it would take about 20 of the average green chromis teaming up against the average PBT for me to give the chromis even odds for survival in a fight. I really doubt Chromis harassment is the cause of your losses.

Just reread your posts. You mention ick. Was it small white dots or small black dots you saw? Either way Tangs are really sensative to getting ick. If they were less than healthy to begin with then the additional stress of ick might have pushed them over the edge.

about 1.5 mhts give or take a week...

with the kole tang I would say you could be right. The other one really acted very healthy before it croaked.
ReeferMedic said:
How long did you have them before they died? They could have had some kind of internal parasite when you bought them.......

good point jake, one the powder blue it was white ick... on the other one it was also white spots, but there was the mysterious black discoloration I mentioned that I haven't been able to identify.

Could have been just improper collection then. I think it's pretty common for them to get a few shite spots with the stress of acclimation, IME with tangs any way. They should go away pretty quickly though.......

Back