Tank crash very high nitrates

ReeferDude

all educated
i have one lionfish and one peacock wasp fish upgrade to my 54 corner and they are the only survivors of a nitrate crash ive been doing large water changes and the nitrates are still rising i was wondering if i should rip apart my sump and clean the bioballs and all the sponge work. My tank was doing fine until i added more live rock do you think that restarted a cycling of the tank? what should i do? i need suggestions fast.

How much LR did you add at once? Was it cured? I ask this because it sounds more like amonia or nitrites rather than nitrates. Nitrates don't usually bother fish, but amonia and nitrite can be lethal at even small amounts. Best thing you can do at this point is do some big water changes and retest.

i think my liquid kmit is bad its 2 years old and i added 40lbs at once it was in my other tank i combinded them both

Hey, If you think you might be in the middle of a large nitrate or Nitrite spike, don't remove the bioballs right now. These are definitely not causing a spike, perhaps a gradual elevation. Sounds like it was the rock, I might remove some of that. The bioballs are full of bacteria which right now is rapidly multiplying along with all the bacteria in your sand bed and live rock, in response to the abundance of food. Water changes are the first action, good work, 2nd I might remove some of the live rock you just added if that is possible. Maybe 1/2 of it. Cure the rest in a 5 gallon bucket or something for a week or two and then add that back.

Good luck.

IMO, keep them for now. Your rock is probably still cycling. As your nitrates begin to get down to reasonable levels, then slowly remove the bioballs. Do frequent small water changes, make sure your skimming well, feed lightly.
Good Luck and stick with it.

i dont have a skimmer i need one anyone have on forsale that would do a 54 and be a reasonable price like $100-$175?

I have a red sea hang on skimmer and another hang on that are both just sitting unused. One was running on a 54g the other was on a 40g. If you feel like taking a ride down to stoughton you are welcome to one of them however I wasn't a fan of any of the hang on skimmers I have used but they do work.

JohnChapple
I have been looking for a hang on skimmer and live in Stoughton...how much were you looking to get for them?

Back