Tank crashed and now I can't fix it

Jelandusn

Non-member
So,
I guess I'll start from the beginning. This is kind of a new tank, but not really because all I did was transfer everything from a smaller tank into a bigger tank.
I had a 29 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump up and running for a year and a half. Things were going great. I loved the tank and would sit forever just watching everything. It was a simple setup with just live rock as a filter. I didn't have anything else in the sump. The only thing I couldn't grow was acropora but I'm ok with that. I don't think I want a high tech tank and that's what I'd need in order to do acropora. I didn't have good color in the sps, so I decided to upgrade to a bigger tank and get a skimmer.
Before I could, my tank crashed. I still don't know what happened, but I came home to a cloudy, stressed tank. One of my pumps had died, so maybe it released something into the tank before it stopped? In any case, my turbo snails, two of my four hermits, all of the little snails who's names I don't know, my pistol shrimp and lots of little starfish where all dead. My two clownfish were incredibly stressed and my coral were all closed up tighter than I had ever seen them.
Since I didn't know what was in the tank, I decided to just move everything to the bigger tank. I figured since I'm, at the very least, going to have to do a 100% water change I may as well put them in the new tank. The new tank is a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. There is nothing but a filter sock in this sump because I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet. Long story short, even before the move all of my sps died as well as both of my frogspawn and my torch. My leather and my toadstool died a couple days later. I left the skeletons in the tank hoping beyond hope that they would come back and they haven't. The tank has been up a month and it is horrible. I will include pictures. They will speak for themselves. I don't know what to do. I am taking some water to the store to be tested but I don't know how this has happened. I never had the cleanest tank, but this is overwhelming. It literally appeared overnight. I am not exaggerating. I woke up and there it was covering all of my rocks. It wasn't as long as it is now, but it was just as thick. It takes a week to get this long.
I hardly feed the tank. I give the fish food once a week and I feed my coral brine shrimp once a week. This is much les than what I used to feed in the much smaller tank. I used to feed the fish pellets every day and my coral every three days.
I am so sad that I lost so many of my favorite coral, but now, looking at my tank I almost want to just give up. I am not easily stressed, but this makes me stressed and sad.
The first picture is the 29 gallon a month before the crash. The next picture is the 75 gallon a month after being set up. The only thing new is the sand and I got bigger pumps.

Wow that's a real bummer. I had problems with my 20 gallon tank when I moved it. I lost a couple of my favorite fish and a bunch of coral. Moves are really hard on tanks, especially it seems when there's a sand bed involved. I can only speculate on what caused the crash in the smaller tank but I will say that the massive algae bloom you're seeing in the new bigger tank is IMO caused by the release of nutrients that were in your sand. This would be especially true if you reused the old sand. Sand beds trap detritus and other organics and such and when they're disturbed all that stuff is released and algae runs rampant. The good news is that with some time, a siphon, a tooth brush and water changes algae will go away. Good luck with your new setup and don't give up!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow that's a real bummer. I had problems with my 20 gallon tank when I moved it. I lost a couple of my favorite fish and a bunch of coral. Moves are really hard on tanks, especially it seems when there's a sand bed involved. I can only speculate on what caused the crash in the smaller tank but I will say that the massive algae bloom you're seeing in the new bigger tank is IMO caused by the release of nutrients that were in your sand. This would be especially true if you reused the old sand. Sand beds trap detritus and other organics and such and when they're disturbed all that stuff is released and algae runs rampant. The good news is that with some time, a siphon, a tooth brush and water changes algae will go away. Good luck with your new setup and don't give up!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree. If you used the old sand that could have caused the algae bloom.

What does your nitrate and phosphate levels look like?

If you changed your old lights to new ones or not enough waterflow or maybe not enough water changes ....this is what would happen.

Thanks for the tips. I used new sand and did get new lights. I think I may be winning, but I am still losing coral. Now because of the algae. They were so stressed from the initial crash that being covered with algae that grows so fast that I just can't keep up. So far, though, the rocks haven't been covered overnight by algae and hopefully next weekend I can get the last bit of algae that I couldn't this week. I think the blenny I got is helping to keep the algae in check. I haven't even tackled the algae on the back wall. On another note, if anyone is looking for something cheap and easy to keep alive that your clownfish will host give this stuff a shot! Mine love it!

Back