"TANKED" tonight

theres a new thing out that lets you put fish in the same day with no cycle. http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsaltwatertank#p/u/33/kPxExG-FbvI.

Can't see the video here at work.But,I'm an old fashion guy,time,is always the best way to cycle a tank.

I'm sure they put straight sea water in so there was no cycle

I don't really think NSW has anything to do with a cycle.It involves bacteria inhabiting surfaces(live rock,bio-balls,sand).

Honestly,I would like to see one of these tanks about a month after they install it.
I'm not going to bash the show too much yet,as it was only a sneak peak Sunday night.
But,from what I see it already looks to be giving very bad advice,or not really teaching anything.
Too bad,they have the perfect venue to do so.
All it takes is a quick disclaimer at the beginning of the show.
Even Bear Grylles does it.lol

Last edited:
Nope, set it up and immediately load the tanks up with fish::

That's what I figured.How about that car fish tank.Can you imagine algae on the inner acrylic and trying to clean it.
Bet it looked like the green blob driving a hot rod after about a month.

from what ive learned there is a way to cycle a tank in two days dont know about rite away but my lfs has tanks that been running for 40 +yrs and he just goes in his crushed coral gravel bed and sucks out all the live bacteria so then he gives me this black juice and some gravel i pour it in my tank and my system becomes 4-6 weeks old imiedietly the next two days i check my levels and therte at 0 0 0 the show is i guess entertaining but for the rite viewer as all of us have different opinions on how fish should be treated and simply they care about money not the fish as they bring them money

Im not focused on grammar or school at the moment,Im just simply letting thoughts out as they come in. whats they point of pointing out my mistakes if u aint even gonna touch the topic ? Figured u had to get a couple words in there ha so much for( tanked) its reefsanes grammar.

Well on the plus side, the bad grammar hides the bad info. You should do some research on what the cycle actually is (hint: it's continuous, not a check-box on a todo list) and how bacteria populations in tanks work.

i know enough to keep my fish happy and alive ,and im not gonna start arguing with a know it all as thats the impression i get off you .and whats the point of trying to put me on blasts just because u figured i dont know what a cycle is . if he would of stated that he or she disagreed or agreed and that i was misunderstood i wouldve went more in detail and took the time to write A NICE essay since i was gonna be graded .and bad info i leave that arguement to an old man that has succesfuly owned a store for 47 yrs !!!!! again this is a tanked thread or am i wrong

if ne one would like to here more about what i am talking about i dont have a problem explaining just ask the correct way about my rambling on in sentences i agree i do that
but there is no need to make a bomb out of it

Last edited:
The show wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but definitely just OC Choppers wrapped in a different package. Their info was mostly junk and I would like to hear them explain about the cycling. Dr Tim's for example, does work, with small bioloads and not so sensitive livestock. However, some of the fish they were dumping in were fairly sensitive i.e. cowfish for example, and there was a pretty substantial bioload, so, I don't think Dr. Tim's stuff would work. You can go to the website and read the fine print, it goes on and on...

Also, someone mentioned the water, but there really isn't significant bacteria in the water, so, using water isn't much better. Most of the bacteria will be in the filtration. I suspect that they maybe pre-cycle the filtration, so it's ready for new clients, but they didn't get into their filtration systems much. Alternatively, they could just pump tons of prime or amquel in... That would probably be bad for the system long-term, but would certainly give them more work in the future LOL.

There are always skeptics over new ideas / products / methods... I'd be interested in trying this magic in a bottle idea.

Back