test kit for calcium

Hi
Can anyone suggest a good test kit for calcium that works without having to be compered to a color changing chart? im having a problem with the colors i get to the starting colors and add the drops and expect to change over i really dont see that much difference like for example the calcium one goes from pink to a blue and you are suposse to count the drops to give you the calcium but my test goes thru the changes from pink to a dark purple but it never changes to blue ( the purple color has a redish tint ) so im only guessing of the amount of drops .
i believe its my eyes and not the test. thanks for any info.

I like the Elos - I find that the color change on this kit forces you to add one more drop for the color change to last more than 20 seconds or so, in other words drop 19 might start the change but the color returns after 10-20 seconds but then drop 20 changes it over completely. Your not comparing to a chart, rather the color changeover.

I use the Tropic Marin test kit for calcium, sounds just like the Elos kit. There is no color chart....drop/swish/drop/swish...ect until it goes from blue to clear.

I have the Tropic Marin test too.. it's IMPOSSIBLE to see when it goes from blue to clear (others have complained about the same thing). I wouldn't recommend it.

The Seachem and Salifert are easy to use, but there's been some question of accuracy. API is cheap and reliable.

I have the Tropic Marin test too.. it's IMPOSSIBLE to see when it goes from blue to clear (others have complained about the same thing). I wouldn't recommend it.

The Seachem and Salifert are easy to use, but there's been some question of accuracy. API is cheap and reliable.

Do you look down through the test tube while it is over a white sheet of paper with the other test tube filled with tank water beside it? IMO it is not impossible to see the change, but different people have different sensitives to color so I could see it being difficult for some.

But only counts in units of 25.

That is correct.

But sometimes that LASSSSST drop is the difference between 425 which bothers me and 450 which is sort of OK for me. I prefer it closer to 475-500.

I've been hand dosing the past couple weeks to get it up and then the CA reactor can do the maintaining.

Do you look down through the test tube while it is over a white sheet of paper with the other test tube filled with tank water beside it? IMO it is not impossible to see the change, but different people have different sensitives to color so I could see it being difficult for some.

i agree, if you follow the instructions i find it easy enough to read.If you were to just try looking at the sample with no clear reference i could see there may be a problem.

Yes I do. The problem is that it is barely light blue to begin with, so it's hard to see at what point it becomes truely clear. IMHO this test kit is many times harder to use than any of the other popular ones.

The Elos CA test is the easiest of the 3 I own. The TM one is AWFUL IMO

It also measures out most closely with the numbers I get when the BRS water testing is done.....

Back