Tested coral pro salt ,

reefstarter

Non-member
so I have never tested it straight out of the mix barrel . I just did and what they say on the bucket os pretty much spot on I was a bit suprised since every water change I have done I had no issues with raising alk or anything else . The alk is 12 coming out of this . Anyone else test other salts ?

Just had a box of Reef Crystals tested. My Alk., CA., and MG were off the charts. Looks like a bad box. Purchased another and that tested perfect. Problem now is my 125g DT levels are high on all 3. I was losing many corals which is how I found out. May be worth it or other reefers to test Change water before each water change.

Same reason I am looking into ESV's salt, as it comes in 4 parts, so you add the different parts to the ratio you want.

I just tested a brand new box of Reef Crystals yesterday. The alk and calcium are good (9.5dkh and 440ppm calcium), but magnesium is only 1000 ppm.

I always take these tested numbers with a grain of salt (lalalal) because of both potential user error and inaccuracy of tritation testing. I have found over the years that often using expensive "higher end" salts with elevated levels are not worth the expense in my tank.

I prefer to use good old instant ocean salt and I let my calcium reactor take care of alk and calcium levels. I have never found mag to be an issue so I don't add.

After dealing with various inconsistent batches of Reef Crystals, I finally switched to Red Sea Coral-Pro and could not be happier. I also really like Tropic Marin Pro-Reef, but hard to justify the price.

Biggest difference between the two seems to be the Alk. RSCP comes out around 12 dkh, while the Tropic Marin tends to be closer to 8.

If there was 1 salt I'd never use again it would be the red sea coral pro. because of Super over elevated levels it can be annoying to mix with out the calcium precipitating out of it while it's being mixed.
I like to have large batches of mixed water ready at all times and I found it was often cloudy due to the precipitatIon.
I also did not like the very specific mixing instructions which I assume is to prevent the calcium precipitation from forming. Just lemme toss some rodi and salt in a bucket with a power head already

Back